CATS AT CIF

Football

A challenging season filled with injuries, difficult teams, and COVID protocols set the Bearcat Varsity Football team up to be able to face adversity and sent them into the CIF Division III playoffs, hoping to prove to themselves and others their team was better than a 48-0 loss to Buchanan earlier in the season (#2 in CIF Division 1).

The Bearcats ended their regular season with a three way tie for first in the mountain league with the Arroyo Grande Eagles and St. Joseph Knights, all holding a record of 4-1. Their overall record was 7-4, earning them a state-wide rank of #311 and a CIF Central Section rank of #31.

After a victorious win 24-21 in the first round of playoffs against Tulare Union on Nov. 4, the Bearcats travelled two hours to Dinuba High to challenge for a spot in the semi-finals of the CIF Division III bracket.

“It was another defining moment for our team. No one expected much from us this season and to prove that we deserve to be in the playoffs feels great,” senior Bastiaan Jaureguy said. Jaureguy is a starter for both offense and defense, playing tight end and defensive end.

A well matched game left all fans sitting on the edge of their seats. At the half, the Bearcats were down 14-7, but came out strong, scoring two more touchdowns and a field goal and only allowing one TD for the Emperors, setting them up 24-21 with sixteen seconds left in the game. One unfortunate play let the Emperors get a run in during the last few seconds of the game leaving a heartbreaking end to the bearcat football season with ae loss 28-21.

NO MORE YARDS (Tulare Union CIF Game) : Senior Kyle “Killa K” Bonham gets the tackle for the Bearcats, adding to the stellar defense that helped Paso take the win in their first playoff game.
Boys Polo

A record breaking season for the Boys Water Polo team was unfortunately ended with a first round loss in their CIF Division II tournament. The Bearcats ended their regular season with a record of 19-13 overall, and earned 3rd in the mountain league with a record of 7-3. Senior Reily Lowry also broke the school record of most goals scored in one season, finishing off his last game with a total of 137 goals, previously set at 119 by Zack Tucker in 2018. Paso was ranked #162 in the state, and #14 in the Central section.

The polo boys (seeded #6 in the tournament) took on the Redwood Rangers (seeded #3) in Visalia on Nov. 4. The game was an intense one, with the third quarter ending tied 8-8 and the crowd on their seats. Scoring back and forth, the Rangers and the Bearcats held each other off at 11-11 up until the last minute of the game, when the Rangers snuck in another point, leading 12-11. The Bearcats put in their best efforts, but fell short and lost first round, putting an end to the 2021 season.
“I was hoping to see us go further into CIF as a team. Unfortunately it came to an end and we had to say bye to our seniors earlier than expected. Redwood was a good team yet skill level in the water I think we should have won that game. I hope to see us go into further rounds of CIF next year,” junior Cameron Clayton said. Clayton earned one goal that game.

UP AND OVER (Water Polo CIF Game) :
Senior Evan Swettenam pulls the ball over the defense to dodge and
hopefully score for the Bearcats.
Girls Polo

Overcoming a team-wide quarantine and countless missed practices and games, the girls water polo team still pulled through with a winning record of 15-13 at the end of their regular season, as well as earning 4th in mountain league and breaking individual records. According to Max Preps, the Bearcats are still ranked #19 in the Central Section, #68 in California, and #75 in the Nation.

The Girls Polo team traveled north to Reedley, California to take on the Pirates in the first round of the Central Section Division II tournament on Nov. 6. The Pirates had an overall record of 23-6 and were 1st in the North Yosemite League, setting them up to be seeded second in the tournament, compared to the Bearcats seeded seventh.
Regardless of being the underdogs, the Bearcats put in the work throughout the game, but unfortunately fell short 7-10. The leading scorers that game were senior Allison Hernandez and sophomore Sienna Lowry, both with three goals each.
“Although this year’s ladies water polo team has come to an end, I am enthusiastic to see my teammates continue to learn and grow next season. After a short 2020 season due to COVID, we’ve had to compete with little experience but these ladies have grown exponentially. I am proud to call each and every lady on this team my friend and teammate and I look forward to seeing them compete next year,” Hernandez said.

Despite an early end to their season and many obstacles, the starting goalkeeper Kaitlyn Hebrard broke the record of most saves in one season with 320 saves over the 25 games she played in, an average of almost 15 saves a game.

BLOCK THAT BALL
(Girls Polo against Morro Bay): Junior Leanna Reed and sophomore Zoey Bixler eye the ball and prepare to stop the other team from getting a shot in
Cross Country

Treading through sand, mountains, and concrete all throughout the state, the boys and girls cross country team have “made their mark” in their races this season, earning second in league in mens and third for womens, along with countless top scores.

“This season started a great foundation for the future and the team had a very strong bond” said Cameron Leclair. Leclair has been competing on the boys Varsity cross country team for the last four years, running in the #1 spot for the last two. He earned fifth overall in league out of 41 runners.

The teams are both traveling to Fresno on Nov. 18 to compete in the Central Section Cross Country Championships, boys in Division I and girls in Division II, hoping to take home another championship on their 5km race. The boys are competing with twelve other schools, which is between 60 and 84 runners, and the top ten runners can earn awards. For the girls, there are 16 other schools, a race with between 80 and 112 other girls. Each school can bring between 5 to 7 athletes, and the top five runners will earn points for the team.

“I’m excited for CIF because I hope to make it to state this year and I really love the course. I like having competition in a race and this race is really competitive so I’m super pumped,” junior Sydney Moore said. Moore earned third place in league, and is the second fastest runner for the girls varsity team.

update 11/27

Charlotte Castelli and Sydney Moore came home victorious in CIF Finals, earning 1st and 8th overall in their division and moving on to state. Castelli ended up taking 54th out of 200 runners at the State Finals on Nov. 26.

CROSSING THE COAST
(Morro Bay Invitational Meet): Senior Cameron Leclair trudges through the sands of Morro Bay to pass other runners and hopefully get a low time.
Tennis

Throwing up the ball and winning a countless number of sets sent the Bearcat girls tennis team to the semi-finals of the Central Section CIF Division II bracket. After receiving a bye in the first round due to being seeded 2nd and a win against Porterville, the team went head to head with Clovis East, who was seeded #3. The Bearcats started off strong with a tie of 3-3 in their singles play, eventually losing 2-4 in a third super set tie breaker. Seniors Sophia Berry and Rana Takada led the Bearcats in singles, winning their sets 6-1, 6-1 and 6-1, 6-3 respectively. The Clovis Timberwolves showed through during the doubles play, taking the lead 2-7 over the Bearcats for a win.

“Getting to semi-finals in CIF was like everything we worked for through all of our years finally paid off, it was greatly anticipated and making it there was rewarding to all of us,” senior Salma Tidwell said. Tidwell has been playing for Bearcat tennis for the last four years, watching her teammates grow into a group that could make it that far into CIF.
The Bearcats had an amazing season, ending with a record of 16-7.

SERVING FOR THE SEMI-FINALS (Porterville CIF Game) : Senior Sophia Berry tosses up the ball in her singles set, hoping to get a point for her team to move on.
Golf

Little swings and misses were reported this season from the Girls Golf team, who advanced to the Regional CIF Division II Finals tournament. With a winning season record and the lowest 18 hole score was 500, these ladies improved their driving and putting game all season.

Taking their top six players, including three seniors, two juniors, and one sophomore, the girls golf team traveled over to Tulare on Oct. 26, competing against all teams in the II and III Divisions in the CIF Central Section. The team earned a total score of 542, getting them 8th out of 19 teams that played. Ceci Martinez earned the top score for the Bearcats of 100, taking an individual placing of 18th out of the 114 golfers competing there.

“CIF was definitely a challenge this year, there was a lot of high competition, tough greens, and long days. I was very excited to be able to participate and compete with my team. Best of luck for next year’s team, I’m really going to miss it,” senior Grace Wittstrom said. Wittstrom was #5 for Bearcats in the CIF playoffs, and earned a score of 113.