Senior Night and Smiles

Last home game for the Varsity volleyball team was a win for the Lady Bearcats and packed bleachers left everyone in smiles.
Film of Paso vs. Templeton Senior Night

Games of high competition and an air of spirit and energy fill Gil Asa for the varsity women’s volleyball team and their  win of  3-2 in sets on Thursday, October 12. Bleachers stacked with banging feet of the football boys, parents, and friends. Seniors McKenzie Cobb, Skylar McEntire, Ashlee Wescom, and Elie Chavez were honored in their last home game against the Templeton Eagles. Having an overall record of 5-8 this season the team was focused on putting everything into keeping the ball off the floor.  

“Our main team goal was ‘ball before body’, meaning we would hustle after balls no matter how shanked they were,” senior Ashlee Wescom said. 

Putting this goal into action during senior night proved the success this team could have. Starting lineup consisted of seniors Wescom, McEntire and Cobb, and Chavez as libero. The rest of the starting lineup was made up of juniors Olivia Heinbach, starting setter, Kylee Nancolas, and Ava Friedling

The student section slowly filled up in the first set as the energy in the room began to climb. Templeton wins with a score of 25-14. 

As the second game starts the energy begins to escalate with posters and senior faces dancing above the crowd. Paso pulls together a close second set, winning 25-22. 

In the third set both teams are equal in competition, both fighting to take a win. Third set won by Templeton. Back in the game again, Paso takes the fourth set, 25-18.

In the last set of the game to 15 points, Paso wins by 3 points, ending score 15-12. 

A gym full of spirit and smiles kept the team smiling in their victory.

“Energy in the gym from our student section and parents helped us keep intensity and want to win,” Wescom said.