Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Breaking the Curse

Boys water polo breaks their two decade losing streak against Righetti High

The crowd is silent. Just minutes ago, the Bearcats were down 8-10 late in the fourth quarter. Now, through aggressive pressure on the ball and lockdown defense, the boys crawled their way back into a 11-11 tie at the end of the quarter. The boys huddled around each other while their coach strategized their game plan going into overtime.

In water polo, overtime is split into two quarters with each team having an opportunity to score on either side of the pool. During the extra minutes, junior Cameron Clayton seized his opportunity to demonstrate his athletic prowess with all three overtime goals, proving to both fans and his own teammates that he doesn’t crack under pressure. Clayton scored a total of 5 goals on the night. 

“He clutched up when we needed it,” senior Reily Lowry said. 

Lowry had 2 points on the night accompanied by one assist and a whopping five steals, one of which was taken from the goalie and resulted in a goal for Paso. 

Senior Cody Domingos dominated the pool on Tues. with aggressive defense and smart playmaking, racking up four assists, two points, and two steals for the Bearcats. 

Senior goalie Waylon Abernathy clamped up the goal with a total of 10 saves, all of which were vital to the team’s 14-12 victory.

THROWING DIMES: Senior Reily Lowry swings the ball over to senior Jackson Parr to give him an opportunity to score. Photo by Ashley Paulsen.
EYES ON THE PRIZE: Parr looks for an opening, and finds it. Photo by Ashley Paulsen.
HE SHOOTS, HE SCORES!: Senior Jackson Parr lands the skipshot and scores in the second quarter. Photo by Ashley Paulsen.

LOCKDOWN DEFENSE: Senior Waylon Abernathy barely blocks the opposition’s shot, making the ball fly over the goal. Photo by Ashley Paulsen.
BATTLE IN SET: Senior Reily Lowry works to grab the ball with two defenders on him, allowing him to try and shoot the ball from right in front of the goal. Photo by Conner Rocha.