What’s your Wrap?

The release of the 2023 Spotify Wrapped reveals the diverse soundtracks that have shaped the lives of high schoolers

As the academic year at Paso Robles comes to a close, students’ anticipation of Spotify Wrapped is summoned. Students walk the hallways, earbuds in, are stressed about finals, and use music to escape. Playlists have become personal anthems and Spotify Wrapped is a reflection of musical taste and teenage expression. The playlists become a conversation starter amongst students and a means of connection. In the quad, discussions revolve around who had the most listened hours or the most surprising top artist.

Spotify Wrapped has become an annual launch for students, offering a nostalgic overview of their year. Teenagers across the world eagerly wait for customized playlists that reveal their top songs, artists, and genres. Students can reflect on their journey through the highs and lows of the year. 

According to Spotify, top lists are showcased by over 574 million listeners around the world.  There were more than 26.1 billion global streams of songs produced by Taylor Swift. Making her the top global artist of 2023. The top global song was “Flowers” by Miley Cyrus. The top global album of 2023  was Un Verano Sin Ti by Bad Bunny.

Social media platforms have promoted the significance of Spotify Wrapped. Instagram stories are flooded with screenshots of top songs and artists, where students showcase their music tastes to a wider audience. 

I love seeing what my friends are listening to on Spotify. You discover new music and learn more about what people’s music taste is like

— Senior Nicole Rogers