Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Bring It On

Senior Devynne Linnell takes to the skies for four more years.

Hearing the faint counts of 1, 3, 5, 7 behind the sound of her heartbeat, senior Devynne Linnell prepares to take flight, confident that her teammates below her will catch her on the way back down. Flying to the top, she hits her motions assured that she is correct on what moves she is doing while soaring up to the level of the crowd.

Linnell has been on varsity cheer for two years and Varsity Stunt for four years, averaging about 15 hours of practice every week.

Her advanced skills and willingness to learn helped  to create a stronger team with Linnell’s favorite complex skills  including kickfull baskets, 360 to extension, and back-handsprings to extension. Linnell’s stunt career will continue at William Jessup University for the next four years as a flyer, joining bearcat alumni Isabella Druding and fellow senior Tia Dana. During her sophomore year she was contacted by Jessup to see if she was interested in their program. While at William Jessup she will be studying Biology alongside competing on their stunt team.

“Coming out of my shell,not being afraid to be myself, and being determined/hardworking have been some things from Paso I can take to Jessup,.” Linnell stated.

This year, Linnell accomplished many feats for the stunt team, the first Bearcat stunt team to win the CIF Central Section Invitational on May 7,2022, helping her team move on to the state competition. Winning CIF and being an UCA All American cheerleader for two years. She is a clear impact on her teammates, causing much of the same persistent attitude to be present.

Hannah Scheller, long time friend and teammate of Linnell, called that influence   “drive to be better. To work hard for what you want and to go get it,”

Starting her cheer career in seventh grade at Flamson middle school, her progression in becoming a true leader started early by leading the younger girls while learning herself. Entering into the PRHS team, she was determined to grow her skills more with a set focus on being the best she could be. With the switch between sideline cheer season and competitive stunt season, Linnell decided to try the new sport, falling in love with the complexity of it. Her first season on the team the stunt team advanced to the state CIF competition, its first year of existence that it was being held. Along with some of her teammates she yet again made it to the state competition for stunt.

[Stunt] is serious and intimidating. And all my focus goes to that,

Linnell said about the shift in seasons.

Coach Tori Loney has coached Linnell all four years and has seen her grow a long way.

“If you would have asked me how she would have turned out her freshman year, I would have been hard pressed to see how far she would go. She was hesitant, shy and just “squirrely” in her stunting. She had all the potential and she is built to be a flyer.” Loney, stated about her freshman year self.  Loney has seen her grow a long way and cannot wait to see her flourish even more at William  Jessup, because her time and dedication to her team has all the right reasons to succeed.

“She has learned that it’s going to take time to earn that top spot and she has the inner grind to get it done.” Loney said.

Back to Bearcathletes