Bearcats defeated in second match against SLO Tigers

Gaby Verduzco, 9 (#11) opens up her body to pass a through ball to the left wing.

The SLO Tigers took the soccer victory on Jan. 24, 2022, winning 2-1 as the sun went down, the temperature dropped, and the stadium lights turned on… Pink and Green cleats pressed into the turf field and a sea of Crimson colored jerseys swarmed as the PRHS Women’s Frosh Soccer team stepped on to the pitch to face the San Luis Obispo Tigers for the second time this season, making this their 8th game of their season. 

Maggy Maya, 10

With 6 wins and 1 loss, the Bearcats were ready for the battle. Earlier this month the Bearcats faced the Tigers in SLO and beat them in a high scoring game (5-4), so going into the match the tensions between both teams were high. Throughout both of the two 35 min halves, each team drew multiple fouls. The one goal scored by the Bearcats was scored by sophomore Maggy Maya off of a penalty shot 5 yards outside of the 18 yard box slightly to the left of the goal. The crowd went wild after the ball glided across the back of the net, but the fight continued as the bearcats were still down by 1 goal. 

Assistant Coach, Jordan Bullard

“Home games against one of the strongest teams in the league is always a huge matchup regardless of the age level,” said assistant coach and recent PRHS alumni, Jordan Bullard. “I could tell the girls had some nerves before the game but they performed well and will come back stronger in their next match against them.”

The Frosh team has 3 games left this season, two of which are against SLO and the third against Coast Union.

“The confidence level of each individual player has grown since the beginning of the season. Hopefully this season is enjoyable for these girls and encourages them to continue being involved in the program for years to come,” Bullard said. 

Photos by Rayvin Wulfing