Dash & Lily review

New Christmas classic series with a twist

Netflix series Dash and Lily is a classic upbeat holiday special. It’s the perfect touching holiday show of two complete strangers falling in love. Both a combination of christmas and easter are brought upon the show, it takes place during the holidays but there is a sense of “easter eggs” to look for throughout the series. There are eight episodes which consist of being less than 30 minutes, it’s ideal for binge watching but not getting weary. Although it may have some unrealistic parts to the show, like getting advice from Nick Jones out of nowhere, it still brings hope to the hopeless romantics. The eight episode Netflix series hits all of the pivotal romantic holiday classics, having fun, going on adventures, and falling in love.

It takes place in New York City around christmas time. The show starts off with Christmas music playing in the background and automatically gives off a sense of coziness, nostalgia, and happiness as we feel the holidays right around the corner. 

Austin Abrams as Dash in episode eight of Dash & Lily © 2020 Netflix, Inc

The two antithetical high schoolers are on a journey to find each other during the deranged holidays. Lily, played by actress Midori Francis, loves Christmas, the joy and merry feel of it all. On the contrary Dash, played by actor Austin Abrams, has always hated Christmas because his family was always distant and could never find the joy of it all. Both actors do a great job of representing their characters, Francis does a substantial way of getting into a cringe yet loving character. With her, expressing, optimistic lines to her sappy, lovey ones Midori maintains to embellish Lily. Abrams is always capable of getting into his roles either in movies or shows. His acting never seems forced or odd, that it doesn’t fit his personality. They both have an exceptional talent in acting.

Both alone during Christmas, they find themselves flipping from page to page a cherry red journal, left by Lily, the hopeless romantic, filled with activities and scavenger hunts, in one of her local libraries, The Strand. It is left there in hopes a stranger picks up her book and ventures with her. The loner book worm, Dash ends up finding it and is left very intrigued, continues reading, and accepts the challenge, which is where their story begins. The two complete strangers get to know each other through the notebook, before meeting in person. Although the two are unfamiliar of eachother their chemistry through the series is indescribable.

The cinematography of the show is pretty basic but does get some beautiful shots of New York. The director makes sure to get shots full with color to give off the christmas vibes. One of the main protagonists, Lily, dressed in red a lot throughout the show, gives off the feeling of holly berries which are very much represented during Christmas. Dash is dressed in a naval peacoat to represent his closed off character. He never wants to take off the sweater the same as his personality; he never really showed it before he met Lily.

Dazing into each others eyes for the first time © 2020 Netflix, Inc.

The 25 minute episodes feel as if they fly past as you’re watching. It is never a dull moment with the awkward geeky boy and shy bubbly girl. Their romantic charm always finds a way to keep the watchers intrigued. insert a theme Here: romantic charm, hope in relationships and finding the right one, magic and humor in imagination, Christmas spell , warmth found in relationships, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmW5GO6btMM

Ultimately, the show ended off with a pretty fundamental ending-they faced troubles but still somehow managed to assemble; and most watchers could see it coming. Although it may seem like an expected ending it still gives off the warm, cozy, comforting happy ending.