Mixed reviews

Mixed+reviews

Girlboss stuns viewers and disappoints critics

Netflix released their self produced show Girlboss, loosely based off of Sophia Amoruso’s biography, #GIRLBOSS, in the spring of 2017. Amoruso wrote of her success in business and how she gained this, giving tips and anecdotes of the obstacles that stood in her way. In a moment of desperation, she sells a vintage jacket on ebay in order to earn a couple bucks, and instead found her life’s calling. Soon after, she starts up an ebay store, which blows up into what is now the incredible successful clothing store, NastyGal.

As the show follows Sophia through her struggle to maintain a job, pay her rent, afford health insurance, and avoid the unavoidable lull of adulthood, it acts as an inspiration to young adults with hopes of living life the way they want to, rather than following a societal pattern of gaining a degree to get a job in which a boss dictates every action.

Britt Robertson portrays Amoruso, taking her own eccentric spin on the already eccentric businesswoman. Her effortless style and quick wit keep viewers on their toes, along with her unique execution of this role, is definitely one for the books.

While the show received only 32% rotten tomatoes, this 13 episode series found itself swimming in positive feedback from fans. As for critics, not so much. Amoruso was portrayed as independent, capable, and clever, but also maintained an inconsiderate, irritating, and actual criminal side. This sparked attacks on the character’s destructive lifestyle, leading to skewed reviews. The way I see it, it’s a TV show, and events and characters are exaggerated in order to make the show more interesting. Don’t let these negative views deceive you. Girlboss offers entertainment and comedy, as well as incredible inspiration. It’s nearly impossible to finish the last episode without new hopes of building one’s own empire.