Back at The Ranch

The Netflix Original, The Ranch becomes a success on the binge watching list

The Ranch is a controversial show that Netflix aired on April 1, 2016. The show represents a family with problems and bumps in the road and how they overcome them. The producer, Don Reo produced shows such as The Golden Girls, Blossom, and Two and a Half Men. Reo has been nominated for Emmys for multiple shows and switched from a writer to eventually become a producer.

The sitcom portrays a rancher’s son who comes home to help his father run the family ranch after his football career failed. Many problems come up from the past for leaving his family for 15 years to pursue a semi-pro football career. Things have changed since Colt Bennett, (Ashton Kutcher), has left his hometown of Garrison, Colorado. Being a legend 15 years ago has shifted to being a tolerable nobody. Presented with characters such as Rooster, Colt’s brother(Danny Masterson), his father Beau (Sam Elliot), and his mother (Debra Winger), all contribute to the issues portrayed to Colt’s new life. Not to mention a surprise visit from his ex girlfriend, (Elisha Cuthbert).

Overall, this comedy depicts a family which goes through many ups and downs, ending each episode on a major cliffhanger. The Ranch is a relatable TV show that people in this small town, including myself are able to connect with and also is able to give you a good laugh. This sitcom was something I could put on and know that I will be in love by the first ten minutes. Reading deep into family matters, The Ranch grabs your attention and manages to keep it as you’ll be on the edge of your seats at the end of each episode.

Critics were surprised by the strong performances and sensitivity the show presents. Despite getting 58% on Rotten Tomatoes, Netflix renewed a second part, released on Dec. 15, 2017. Gaining a delightful reaction from viewers, the show intends to release a third part to The Ranch to be launched in 2018.