Breaking Records and Big Dreams

Junior Garrett Haggmark broke two school records at the prelims meet in Arroyo Grande and is ambitious to break another
Breaking Records and Big Dreams

On Tuesday, Apr 23, 2024 Garrett Haggmark made his way down to Arroyo Grande High School where he would fiercely compete in the prelims of the Mountain League Championships; little did he know he would break two school records.

It started out just like any other normal meet for Haggmark as he set up at the block to take off. Sprinting through the water, he pushed until the very end where he felt his fingertips touch the cold cement. As he finished the race, confusion spread over him as he was in shock at how he could’ve swam a 21.20 in the 50 free.

“I didn’t feel like I went that fast so it was just really weird,” Haggmark said. “I looked at my coach and just couldn’t believe it.”

Haggmark has been swimming for nine years, competing in various different races with his favorites being the 50 free and the 100 fly.

On the 23rd, Haggmark competed in six races total and set the record time for PRHS in two of these races swimming a 21.20 in the 50 free and a 47.06 in the 100 free. 

To be able to achieve this time, Haggmark devotes 5 days a week to swimming consistently in hopes to achieve faster times. Along with morning swim and afternoon practices, Haggmark competes on his club swim team, the San Luis Obispo Seahawks, in between water polo and swim season to improve his endurance and build his speed.

As Haggmark ends his junior year season of swimming, he is looking forward to continuing getting faster where he can even compete at the collegiate level after he graduates in the Spring of 2025. Before his high school years come to a close, his main goal for himself is to set even more records and place in the top three people at CIF for an individual event, as he has previously attended for relays in 2023. 

Haggmark went on to compete in the finals on Apr 25, 2024 and re broke the record for the 50 free with a final time of 21.07.

Watch the videos here!