Boys Varsity Soccer Team Takes Down the Mustangs

Boy Bearcats win their first preseason game against Stockdale High School
Boys Varsity Soccer Team

With a start time of 6 p.m., the players braced their arms to cover their goosebumps, but, despite the winter weather, the Boys Varsity Soccer team defeated the Stockdale Mustangs 2-1.

On Nov. 27,  the Bearcats played at home on Parish Field, in their first preseason game.

The spectators, who were wrapped up warmly in jackets and blankets, watched eagerly as the two teams battled evenly during the beginning of the game. The Bearcats weren’t able to get a ball in the back of the net in the first half, but they made sure the Mustangs didn’t score any either. At the beginning of the second half, the teams continued to fight for the ball, until senior Manuel Gutierrez scored from 25 yards away, the length of 2 school buses. Soon after, the Mustangs also scored their first goal of the game to tie up the game 1-1. 

As the crowd continued to cheer for the Bearcats anticipating a win, senior, Skyler Lieber, made a penalty kick to secure their win and give them their first preseason win.

The Varsity Boy Bearcats play their next two games this Friday, Dec. 1, at Barney Schwartz for the Cats and Hounds Tournament. They play Morro Bay first at 12:00 p.m. followed by Santa Ynez at 5:00 p.m.