Wrestling Wins League and CIF Championship

League
CIF and more
League

Undefeated and crowned League Champions, the 2022 PRHS Wrestling Team grapples and destroys their competition throughout the season.

Junior, Leo Kemp throws his opponent on his backSenior, Peyton Kilber sets up his takedownSenior, Reily Lowry sinks in the armbar on his opponentFreshman, Gabriel Ahumada looks for the pinSenior, Ian Rodriguez defends the takedownPRHS Wrestling prepares themselves for the Pioneer Valley DualSenior, Trevon Bridewell hand fights for position
Previous
Next

Beginning their first dual meet, the Bearcats made their mark and set their intentions high by defeating the rival Atascadero Greyhounds, 54-25 on Jan. 5, 2022.

Continuing their dominance on the mat, the Bearcats then faced one of the toughest competitors in their league, the Righetti warriors. Battling and clashing together in a tight dual, the Bearcats prevailed and conquered the Warriors, 39-37 on Jan. 19, 2022.

“It’s been seven years since the last time we became league champions and seven years since we’ve beaten Righetti,” Assistant Coach Chris Monteiro said. “Me and Coach Nate knew we had an opportunity this year and after beating Righetti there wasn’t a doubt in my mind we were going to lose the League Championship. Now I’m predicting we are going to be CIF Champions if everyone stays healthy.”

After the team placed 4th in the Dinuba Invitational Tournament (Jan. 10, 2022), several wrestlers tested positive for Covid-19 which resulted in the Arroyo Grande Dual Meet to be rescheduled. The Bearcats then competed in a “Double Dual” against AG and Pioneer Valley for their annual Senior Night on Jan. 26, 2022. 

“This has been an extremely successful season we’ve had so far. Our team chemistry is really great, and it makes us all want to be better,”  Leo Kemp said, who wrestles in the 220 pound class. “Even though we’ve had some setbacks with Covid, coming off a great season of football and then flowing into a successful year wrestling is really cool.”

Ending league with a slam, the Varsity Bearcats pinned down the Pioneer Valley Panthers, 60-9 in their home gym, dueling as well the Arroyo Grande Eagles 55-21. The climactic day ended with numerous Bearcat match wins and the title of undefeated league champions of the season.

“Going forward, my mind is set on the State Championship and taking our wrestlers to the highest level they can compete at. If everything goes well, I see six of our varsity wrestlers qualifying for State,” Head Coach Nate Ybarra said.

CIF and more

The Bearcats headed to Monache High School to compete for the CIF Championship on Feb 12, 2022.

Coming out victorious, twelve of the fourteen Paso wrestlers placed and moved onto the Masters Competition where senior Peyton Kilber, senior Reily Lowry, and junior Leo Kemp won 1st place in the finals for their weight division winning CIF individually and as a team.

Carrying their winning streak to Bakersfield for the State-Qualifiers (Masters Tournament), Peyton Kilber placed 5th along with junior Joe Ciccarelli, Reily Lowry, Christian Davidson, and Leo Kemp all placed 9th in their individual weight classes and each qualified for the California State Championships.

“Winning CIF and going to state was definitely the best experience of my high school career.” said Peyton Kilber.