Adams Plunges Towards Cal State Bakersfield

Adams commits to D1 diving at Bakersfield

Four years, hundreds of dives, and many wins later, Bearcat Sage Adams has secured a spot on the Cal State University Bakersfield (CSUB) dive team.

Sage Adams (Left) strikes a pose before diving into the water with fellow teammates Justice Neumann (Center) and Ashlynn Bean (Right)

Adams has been diving for the Bearcats for her entire high school career. She comes from a family of five, with brother Denver and sister Bailey. Her former sport, gymnastics, has helped her do extremely well in diving. “I was a former gymnast and I had broken my arm. I was devastated and the gym that I went to closed down,” she stated. “I am able to utilize a lot of skills that I learned in my gymnastics days into my diving.” She is a CIF finalist, and has placed 3rd in league finals. She has pushed through the loss of most of her senior year, but she is glad that diving is back in session.

Teammate Ashlynn Bean described Adams as a superb teammate. “She is very kind, helpful, and outgoing,” Bean said. “Her dive skills are astonishing and amazing.”

While this season may have been cut to only five meets, that did not stop her from making herself known to coaches. “I emailed roughly 17 coaches a night for a week,” Adams spoke. “I had to remain very organized and take notes on each college to see what fit my needs and wants. I am very happy with my decision to go to CSUB.” Adams also spoke about her advice to give to fellow Bearcats wanting to attend college. “I would say don’t sell yourself short,” she said. “Be confident in your achievements and keep your standards high, the right college is going to meet your needs and wants.” 

Adams also described the effect of COVID on her this year. Not only did she lose most of her senior year, but she also had to deal with the loss of athletics and the closure of most athletic facilities. “This year has been…anything but easy. It has been stressful, scary, unpredictable, and far from relaxing,” she mentioned. “Athletics are really important to me and to not be able to practice for a whole year was super hard.” 

Now with her full commitment to Cal State Bakersfield, Adams has landed herself on a great dive team. “I am very happy with my decision to go to CSUB,” she stated. “It has the perfect major for me and it has the most amazingly tight knit D1 swim and dive team.”