Moffitt Goes Miles

Senior Kendall Moffitt signs to Cal Lutheran as a swimmer 

After thousands of dives and morning practices, senior Kendall Moffitt has landed herself a position on Cal Lutheran’s (CLU) college-level swim team.

Moffitt has been swimming for 15 years having joined North County Aquatics at the age of three and is now taking the next step in her swim career with her collegial commitment. “After a few phone calls and a recruitment trip I realized that CLU checked off everything I wanted. They have an amazing coach, a committed/ hardworking team, and one of the most beautiful campuses I got to see while taking college tours,” Moffitt said.

TAKING DUBS: Moffitt stands on the podium proudly in the first place position accompanied by her gold medal.

CLU is a D3 school with an acceptance rate of 71.4 percent (2020). While COVID cut her junior year swim season short, Moffitt still has impressive enough times to catch the eye of the CLU coach. She mainly swims the 1650 freestyle (also known as the mile) with a time of 18:14.01, the 1000 freestyle with a time of 10:47.53, the 500 free with a time of 5:09.95, and the 200 butterfly with a time of 2:13.50.  These times have allowed her to qualify for CIF both her freshman and sophomore year.

“It is so inspiring to see a bearcat succeed with their goal, especially this year. Kendall works so hard and I know I speak for the whole swim team when I say I am proud of her,” teammate of four years Carlotta Abascal stated.

Moffitt has continued to swim an average of 12 hours a week throughout the pandemic in preparation for what should be her first season as a college athlete in the upcoming 2021-2022 school year.

Although her high school swim career is coming to an end she has still managed to make some memories along the way, “During high school swim when I got to compete at CIF I left with three medals, two individual and one relay,” she said. 

THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD: Moffit has the support of her family next to her as she signs the paper binding her to the Cal Lutheran swim team.