Campbell’s Closet

Senior Campbell Sinton excels in school and in the 4-H show ring
Campbells+Closet

Head, hands, heart, and health are the four principles (or leaves of the clover) that a person in 4-H should embody. Senior Campbell Sinton has all of those down to a T. She excels in any field she steps into, much like one of her idols Christina Yang from the hit ABC TV show, Grey’s Anatomy. In Grey’s Anatomy, Yang is a surgical intern who strives for the best, and becomes the best. Sinton shares that characteristic with Yang, and it shows through all she does. 

She has been raising animals in the 4-H program since middle school and has quickly excelled to the top. At first, Sinton started raising sheep, but then switched to cows where she found her passion. 

“I think one of my friends was doing it, and I was like oh that sounds fun. So I joined and then it took off from there,” Sinton said. 

In 2022 and 2023, Sinton won Advanced Senior Showmanship at the Mid State California Fair, and in 2023 she was 3rd Overall Intermediate Beef Showman for the California Youth Livestock Association. On the weekends, she will also go to jackpot shows, which are one-day events that kids can bring their animals to to win prizes without auctioning off their animals. The most Sinton has auctioned off one of her steers for is 12,000. 

“I’ve known Campbell since kindergarten and I’ve seen how hard she works in every endeavor she takes on. Not only in her academics but in 4-H. She’s constantly working with her animals and putting the time in to reach the goals and results she wants,” best friend Gabby Silva, senior, said. 

Sinton excels in the show ring, as well as in the academic world. She has maintained a 4.67 GPA and has dedicated herself to getting good grades in school. She played one year of tennis during her sophomore year as well, but gave it up to focus on her animals. Along with all of this, Sinton has gotten into some of the most competitive schools in California. She applied to 12 schools, and was accepted to  UCLA, UCSB, UC Davis, Baylor, TCU, Cal Poly SLO SLO, ASU, Chapman, and USC. From the moment she stepped onto the UCLA campus she knew that was where she wanted to be. However, she didn’t believe she would get in, and turned her attention to UC Davis. 

“I kind of had my sights set on Davis and then I got into UCLA and I was like, Oh my God, I had to go,” she said. 

During Sinton’s junior year, she and two of her classmates, Ava Cox and Audrey Dawes, in her Business Communications class wanted to come up with a project they could take to SkillsUSA. After bouncing around many ideas, they came up with the idea for the Crimson Closet. Crimson Closet is a free clothing store on campus that is mainly geared towards students who are unable to get new clothes otherwise. Since its start in spring of last year, the Crimson Closet has served many kids Wednesdays and Thursdays during tutorial. Crimson Closet advanced through the regional level, and the state level winning a gold medal. 

Breanne Overton, business teacher and Crimson Closet advisor, spoke highly of Campbell: “I have not only had the honor of having Campbell as one of my students for the past 2 years, but I have also been privileged enough to see her and the founders of Crimson Closet compete at the regional, state and national level of SkillsUSA for their Community Service Project. Campbell is mature beyond her years, thoughtful, innovative and determined to make her mark in this world. She is a world traveler, adventure seeker, and one of the brightest students I’ve ever met!”

Although going to college in a new big city will be daunting, Sinton is most excited to meet different people from all walks of life, and for her new found freedom college will bring her. 

“I feel like college is obviously hard and their classes are crazy, but I think you’ll have a little more downtime, and like you’re not always drowning in work. I mean, probably but I don’t know. I’m just curious to see how that is.” she said. 

After college, Sinton dreams of becoming a Physician’s Assistant. She loves the thought of being able to help people everyday and make a difference in someone’s life. Sinton also loves that she will get the freedom to switch specialties, so she will always be able to try new things.