Crimson Closet: Clothes on Campus!

Crimson Closet continues to uprise in popularity and clothes! Branching out to many students in need and communities in Paso Robles High School.
Co-Founders%3A+Audrey+Dawes%2C+Ava+Cox%2C+and+Campbell+Sinton+brightly+smiling.+
Co-Founders: Audrey Dawes, Ava Cox, and Campbell Sinton brightly smiling.

Why go to goodwill when Crimson Closet, in room 109, exists? Crimson Closet provides a myriad of clothing for students and teachers to shop for. 

A year ago, senior co-founders, Ava Cox, Audrey Dawes, and Campbell Sinton, took over Cinderella’s Closet, and with a burning desire to start something new, Cox, Dawes, and Sinton were able to create a school community program that impacts with the help of their advisors and teachers. Eventually this program that they created took them to place first in SkillsUSA for their group community service project.  It has grown and surfaced to become a classroom full of clothing and shoes open to every student on campus.

“The backstory started off as an idea from Mrs. Brianne Overton, she gave us an idea to maybe start a clothing drive. But, we decided to take everything in our own hands to create the Crimson Closet and create the name and everything,” said Dawse. 

“We also kinda looked at Cinderella’s Closet and we liked that idea, so we decided to expand that idea,” said Sinton.

Three students wanted to become involved in their school and were seeking a way to make an impact. After seeing a small giveaway Paso Robles High School organized with prom attire, they decided to spend their free time, take initiative, and start a project called the Crimson Closet; accessible to all students. 

According to Overton, it branched out to the whole Paso community and Crimson Closet has even received massive donations to start their project off. Crimson Closet accomplished being able to campaign coats for kids.

“We collected about 35 coats for kids ranging from toddlers all the way to adults. We also have partnered with the Elks Lodge in Paso Robles, and they donated $2,000 dollars from hosting an adult prom, which was pretty neat,” said Overton.

Pullquote Photo

This year alone we’ve raised $27,000 so far. So in just a few months and then also the business club will be providing $10,000 with the scholarships to business pathway completers this year.

— Brianne Overton

According to Cox, ranging 20 to 60 students visit Crimson Closet every tutorial Wednesday to scope around the clothes on display. Overton claims that they’ve never had less than 20 to 30 students. People find numerous pieces of clothes that are donated to help students in need, or to simply give away unwanted clothes.

“It’s nice because I don’t have the time to go thrifting like on my own time. I could just come here on a Wednesday just to find something,” said 11th grader, Justin Martinez, an avid customer to Crimson Closet.

Sophomore Zac Cillas, a student who often spends his tutorials at Crimson Closet said, “I come here to find random stuff. I found a vest a couple weeks ago. It’s usually packed with people and I come with all my friends.” 

“I usually walk out with four to five pieces of clothing,” said Martinez. 

The influence on Crimson Closet is prominent on students shone with dedication. Students enjoy the atmosphere and get to walk out of a classroom with clothes that they don’t have to spend too much money on.

Greeted by a student helper at the door way, mini crowds of people can be seen from the classroom windows. Walking into the classroom, filled with racks of hangers with clothing on them, there’s an abundance of students enjoying the free time they have shopping for clothing and spare shoes. A line quickly accumulates and it’s bustling. Everyone is showing each other the clothes that they managed to spot out. Many types of clothing ranging from shirts, pants, dresses, tuxedos, jackets, vests, etc. are organized and overseen by student helpers to make sure the process and time open goes by smoothly. Towards the end of Wednesday’s tutorial, students walking with Crimson Closet’s shopping bags are in plain sight all around campus, going back to their tutorial class.

“We had a fifth grader who was going to science camp and had nothing and within a couple of hours, we had a whole week’s worth of supplies, a bag, and a sleeping bag for him. So its been really rewarding recently,” said Overton.

In addition to clothing being available, the Crimson Closet community has discussed including utilities such as: food and school essentials! Partnering up with PRHS’s Leadership class, they plan on making it happen before this year ends. Overton also mentions recent talks about opening on some Saturdays for more community members in need and not just students. 

Considering the co-founders of Crimson Closet are currently graduating 2023 seniors, they give the future of Crimson Closet to the underclassmen who have ideas of taking the wheel to steer them to greater heights.  

It became a student-run program and looking forward, co-founders Cox, Dawes, and Sinton believe that “We’ve all deeply involved ourselves in it. It’s become really meaningful to all three of us,” said Sinton.

“For all of us, we’ve really learnt about the other side of the school community that we weren’t really aware of. And we’re like now aware of all these different things that are going on that you don’t really see on the surface, but it’s there. Students need clothes and we are really grateful to dig deep and collectively build up the community, “ said Cox.