Bearcat Football Slays the St. Joe Knights on their Homecoming

A five year long loss streak against the St. Joe Knights was defeated this Friday on Oct. 1 by the Bearcat Varsity team, on the Knight’s homecoming and senior night. 

Starting off their game day with a completely silent one hour and one minute bus ride from PRHS to St. Joe’s, the cats weren’t messing around. Losing last year 42-0 to the Knights, they were determined to come back this year and reign victorious.

Junior Leo Kemp #26 dodges the Knights defense on his way to the other endzone.

“Before the game, coach was telling us to stay focued all the way therea nd just picture a perfectly played game as a team. I’ve never had a bus ride that dialed in. We got off the bus, stayed locked in al the way to the moment the first whistle blew on the field,” senior Bastiaan Jaureguy #42 said. Little did he know before the game, Jaureguy would be one of the key offensive and defensive players to jousting the Knights for the win, with two catches for a total of 91 yards, and some important sacks and tackles throughout.

Holding off the Knight’s offense, Bearcats started off the first quarter strong with a rushing touchdown from junior Leo Kemp #26 and a completed point after touchdown (PAT) from senior kicker Gustabo Garcia #76. Second quarter was a little more rocky, with the Bearcats defense letting the Knights score two touchdowns and one two point conversion, going into halftime as 7-14. 

The halftime pep talk pumped up the Bearcats to leave no mercy on the Knights, heading out of the locker room straight into warm ups while St. Joe’s homecoming show was still on. The fireworks and student section were no distraction to the players though: they started off the third quarter with a 65 yard pass from quarterback Trevon Bridewell #2 to tight end Jaureguy , leading to a touchdown from Bridewell the next play and another PAT from Garcia, tying the game 14-14 with ten minutes left. Stopping the Knight’s defense, Bearcats got back the ball and Kemp scored another rushing touchdown, giving the Bearcats the lead 20-14 with about three minutes left in the quarter. Knights used their time wisely, and scored another touchdown before the end of the third, forging ahead 21-20. 

Senior Trevon Bridewell #2 makes a pass, putting the Bearcats a few yards closer to scoring.

Paso started with the ball in the fourth quarter, but soon the Knights retrieved it. Short lived though, Jaureguy recovered a fumble from St. Joe and gave the Bearcats another chance–leaving them at St. Joe’s 35 yard line. Another long pass to Jaureguy from Bridewell, and a fourth-down conversion, the Bearcats were left on the seven yard line with six minutes to go. Jake Morones #3 came in with another rushing touchdown yet a failed two point conversion, putting the score 26-21 with five minutes left. St. Joe broke down Paso’s offense and made it within Paso’s ten yard line with three minutes left; a prime opportunity to score and win the game. Despite the challenging circumstances, Paso held the line and put St. Joe on the two yard line for their fourth down. With both teams’ crowds on the edge of their seats and less than two minutes left in the game, the Knights quarterback attempted to make one more play and threw a pass that was intercepted by Paso’s cornerback Brandon Bonham #34, sealing the win for the Bearcats.