Painting with her own brush

New artist Lizzo creates a culture of self empowerment

2019 has been a year of many new albums and movements from a resurgence of R&B to a spotlight on Dixie Country. But shining through this musical mix is 31 year old Melissa Viviane Jefferson, also known as Lizzo.

In her new album Cuz I love you Lizzo blends anthems of self empowerment with ballads of one-sided love into a cohesive pop – R&B – hip/hop blend.

This album follows the 2013 album Lizzobangers and 2015’s Big GRRRL Small World.

R&B indie band former changed to pop rapper Lizzo has made her way to the top of the charts once again. From being featured on Plectrumelectrum, an album by Prince and 3rdEyeGirl to being a judge on the tenth season of RuPauls drag race, Lizzo has been all over the cultural spectrum.

But her major label album debut has made a leap in her cultural impact.

An album based around internal and external confidence songs such as “Like a Girl” and “Better in Color” revolve around self love and body positivity.

But beneath the bravado of outer confidence and Lizzos unbelievable ability to twerk while playing a flute (please look it up it’s uncanny) is a true artist. With ballads reminiscent of early Aretha Franklin, Lizzo sings out of the depth of her heart about unrequited love and heartbreak.

Rebirthing her rap career she breaks out her bars in the songs “tempo” and “juice” making anthems to be played when you’re needing a pickup of a burst of confidence.

Cuz I love you is a boost of Lizzos cultural momentum, both in the music industry and out. But her album does have room for improvement. Her musical blend often comes out as choppy and disorganized with lyrics that are reminiscent of a early 2000s pop mantra.

But this is a exponential improvement over her previous songs. The album accomplished what it was written for; a feel good recipe for empowerment and self love.