St. Joe defeated in final inning

Mark Martinez prepares to send a pitch flying to St Joe. He has been playing baseball since he was seven years old.

Six runs score Bearcats a win

Marking the first real win of the season, Bearcat baseball took the lead from St Joe High School in the last inning of the game with a score of 6-5 on Friday, Feb 22. The crowd was left in astonishment and pride as the nail-biting game came to its end. Even more so, the team took this win with overwhelming joy visible across the field.

“I think everyone was just hyped up, and it rolled over to our next game, which we also won,” Riley Swarthout, a senior and player of about 14 years, recounted.

They won on a walkoff, after pulling ahead following a hit by Swarthout. This win set the tone for more to come, as the team has won two games follow this, defeating Atascadero and Arroyo Grande with scores of 6-5 and 9-6, respectively.

“We have a lot of talent, so I expect the rest of the season to be full of wins, as long as we get hot early in the game and do what we can,” Mark Martinez, who plays pitches, plays third, and has been playing baseball since he was seven, reported.

The team currently has overall stats of four wins and two losses, and will be playing their next game on Mar 4 against Hanford West.

photos by Estella Cano