Creative minds Collaborate

The Internet’s new album, Hive Mind, creates soul soothing music over summer.

New soul band The Internet made a big breakthrough with their past albums such as the groovy, soul R&B album, Ego Death, inspiring its Grammy nomination. Their sophomore album, Feel Good, had neo-soul music filling every inch of the album. The seven year old band has been a rising band creating hits that express their emotions and experiences they have had through their songs, “Come Over”, “It Gets Better (With Time)”, and much more.

Their fourth album, released on July 20, 2018,  Hive Mind, like their last album, Ego Death, continues the soft, funky blues and the jazzy R&B tunes. Now that Jameel Bruner, the former keyboardist, has quietly left the band, his keys are taken over by Steve Lacy’s guitar licks. The most popular song, “Come Over,” has reached 5.1 million hits on YouTube and illustrates for viewers an expression of colorful scenes directed by Syd, the bandleader, herself.

The funky bass behind the bandleader of The Internet, Sydney Loren Bennett, offers an aesthetic voice taking over in most songs in the album. “Come Over” or “La di da”, gives everything about this album a soul soothing energy. Hive Mind has brought back the 90s and R&B hits with more funk, creating a retro feel in every song.

The underrated band creates music that has a funky energy, inspired by the artist Prince. In an interview from Genius, Syd said that her band members are Prince fans and create their music with him in the back of their musical minds. Overall, Hive Mind has created soul soothing music and has been one of the most wildly loved albums by many of their fans.