She sure is a keeper

Alexis Serna leaves her mark at PRHS with a sensational soccer career.

Alexis Serna defends her goal, preparing to send the ball flying back down the field. Serna plays keeper and has been on the PRHS varsity team for three years.

After 13 years playing soccer, senior Alexis Serna ends her soccer career as a varsity soccer team captain and key goalie with 191 saves for the PRHS girls team. Leading a historic team, no other sport, including the boys team, has had the amount of success they had in the competitive Southern Section league during the winter season.This includes making it to the first round of Southern Section CIF and going 9-4-1 in league.

“With being a captain, it’s important to treat everyone equally and continue to push everyone to their fullest potential because if one [teammate] doesn’t give it their 110% on the field it can affect the rest of the team”, explained Serna.

Being a competitive varsity  player of three years, Serna keeps her eye on the ball by spending her off season playing club soccer, sharpening her skills every year with a total of 11 years playing club soccer. Serna has been a part of the clubs San diego Surf for four years, Chula Vista Rangers for two years, SDSC for one year, San Diego Arsenal for two years, Eagles Central Coast for one year, and SLO Soccer Club for one year.

“Club soccer improved my skills by doing keeper trainings and having two hour practices twice a week,” said Serna, explaining training during off season.  

As a result of committing hours to club soccer, Serna and her teams have won California Southern State Cup once, been a Surf Cup finalists twice, and continues to dominate on the field with SLOSC.

Through the years 13 years of hard work and dedication for her sport, Serna goes to her dad and Cal Poly Soccer Coach, Scott Williams for support.

“Alexis has wonderful talent that is God-given, and she has done a fantastic job of maximizing her talent through hard work and dedication. Where I have been most impressed with her is in her leadership. She is exactly the sort of person that a coach dreams to build their team around,” said Williams, who has been Serna’s San Luis Obispo Club coach for one year.

The importance of a goalie on every soccer team is crucial to the result of every game.

“Serna is one of the best teammates I’ve ever played with. She has more passion for the game than anyone I know. I know that I can count on Serna in any situation and she’d be there for me,” said junior teammate Ryan Coffey.  

After getting a full ride to play soccer at Cal Poly, Serna decided to turn down the offer to attend school out of California and attend Wichita State University. Serna stated she now continues to deeply regret the decision to turn down the offer, but will still pursue her passion while playing club soccer in college.

“Honestly soccer shaped me into the person I am right now: tough, gaining leadership, and having a family to count on,” said Serna.

Back to Bearcathletes 2018