The 20/20 thrift store challenge

Three Bearcats are given $20 and 20 minutes and are set loose in Goodwill

Sophomore David Trobisch rocks a primary yellow windbreaker over a simple tee and cuffed jeans. Trobisch spent a total of $19.47 on this look.

Given $20 dollars and 20 minutes, three contestants faced the challenge of picking out an outfit at Goodwill Paso. Sierra Marshall (12), David Trobisch (10), and Finley Burns (11) gathered on a Saturday, Mar. 3, 2018 to piece together their best outfit using reused clothes bought in Goodwill.

The final outfits they picked out were scored for the contestants starting with 40 points and decreasing by one point for every dollar and minute used. Contestants are also earned a point each time a viewer-voted for their outfit and photo on Crimson’s Instagram Page (@crimsonnewsmag).

Thrift Stores have gained popularity as a unique, inexpensive way to find new styles and special pieces, particularly with the younger generation.

“In 2012, the number of thrift stores was up 12 percent from the previous two years. Data shows that in a given year, approximately 16 to 18 percent of Americans wil

l shop at a thrift store,” Andy McDonald from the Huffington Post said.

In the fluorescent lights, busy isles, and clutter of customers, contestants were handed their $20 bill. The time began. In a rush, each one tried to find clothes in their size while

Senior Sierra Marshal decided to go with Floridian styled shirt combined with red pants. The yellow visor adds to the outfits beachy vibes.

fighting the natural shoppers browsing through the store.

“I almost always start in the jeans,” junior, Finley Burns said, flipping through the rack of blue denim.

The nerves were setting in. Contestants began to struggle not being able to find clothing items they liked and fit.

Burns and Trobisch agreed jeans were the hardest to find.

Soon contestants had found outfits and they tried them on, hoping their first items fit right and paired well together.

Marshall found her perfect outfit on the first try. She described her look as the “Hawaiian dad look” after she alighted on her centerpiece: the surfer-printed button up.

Trobisch discovered a yellow jacket and worked around it. He went with a simple shirt and classic blue jeans. However, after trying on his outfit, he realized the shirt was too snug

A cuffed dark denim pair of jeans contrasts an open button up stylized with pineapples. Burns centered her outfit around this shirt.

and pants too baggy. With the clock nearing his time he decided to put on his belt and just go with a droopier middle.

Burns grabbed many items including two jeans, two button-ups, and three tops before entering the dressing room. She tried on a combination of outfits and was unable to decide between two printed button up tops. She glanced at the time and knew she needed to make a quick decision. She chose a pineapple-printed top. Her jeans also didn’t fit perfectly, but she kept them to save time.

Once the contestants had donned their outfits, they rushed to the counter, waited in line, and paid. Good news — sub $20 — arrived for each shopper for their prices, but the clock was another story: only Marshall was able to finish her outfit in less than 20 minutes.

Now it was out of the contestants’ hands and up to Bearcats to decide the final winner. Crimson staff posted a picture of the final outfits on their Instagram and the community dropped a comment for their favorite.

Marshall finished with 25 votes ending with a final score of 35 points. This put Marshall in first. In second, Burns received 20 votes finalizing her score to 20 points. Third place was Trobisch with 11 votes and 11 points total.