New trends

New+trends

Social media shows its nepotism, choosing new algorithms which prioritize celebrities

Throughout the last couple months, you may have noticed that the selfie you posted days ago has received a significant amount of fewer likes. No, it’s not because of your awkward angle or slight blemish. . . Trendy social media sites such as Instagram, Snapchat, Youtube, and Facebook are intentionally putting more popular social media users at the top of viewers’ feeds. So if you’re like most social media users and you’re not receiving 500+ likes/comments on that amazing selfie you posted, you can kiss a significant amount of your likes goodbye.

This is not Instagrams way of telling you you are ugly or what you had for dinner last night did not look delicious; social media is simply designing their site to what they think will be pleasing content for you.

Social media is constantly fighting for our attention. Studies show that in 2017, 81 percent of the U.S. was currently active on social media. With so many different competitors, the media is adding all different factors into their sites in hopes that we will strive to be the best of the best when it comes to our selfie game. These sites encourage you to engage more in order to receive more feedback. For example, Instagram will track how much you interact with your followers, post to your story, and receive/send DMs which will lead to your rank on others’ feed.

In a nutshell: more interaction plus the countless hours on one specific site will result in more likes

If you were with the older social media generation, you would know the benefit of post notifications. Post notifications is a beautiful tool for not so social butterflies to allow others to be notified whenever they post another rocking selfie. But with social media’s new algorithm, there is no need for the desperate notification in hopes of more likes/comments.

Thanks to American actress Ashley Tisdale and British pop star Ellie Goulding, their forlorn request regarding all of their followers to turn on post notifications gave sites such as Instagram the inspiration to start this unchronological aberration.
Sure, this update is great if you’re Kylie Jenner or Beyonce. But unfortunately, we are not. As bearcat Carra Ford once said in an outgoing email to Snapchat, “I do not need to be seeing Karla from the zumba class I took in 2013 before the people I talk to daily.’