Student Assassin Showdown

Upperclassmen participate in an off-campus war
Student Assassin Showdown

As the Bearcat leaves their shift from work they can’t help but feel suspicious as if they’re being watched. Suddenly, in a flash they feel the pressure of a soft dart hitting them as students run out laughing, filming, and cheering: they are eliminated.

In a clash of foam and strategy, 73 upperclassmen are involved in an ongoing Nerf war. Assassins 2024 was organized by seniors Kameron Paine and Kylee Dayton, who envisioned a massive war between students and worked hard to bring that vision to life.

Pullquote Photo

“I felt like no one was going to run it this year, so I felt like I had to be that guy. As fun as it was playing, it is also a lot of fun to run it and be in the whole background.”

— Kameron Paine, 12

After its initial launch on February 1st, assassins became a massive success With 20 students originally signed up, the peak number of active upperclassmen was 73. Each student paid $5 for the initial buy-in, which was due by January 31st. After that, late buy-ins were $10 per person. If someone is killed and wants to buy back in, they need to pay $15. The total amount of

money students spend between the varying kinds of buy-ins will be added together and given to the winner of the game. Paine and Dayton have claimed they are unable to calculate the total amount just yet. As more students began to play, it was clear competitors needed to stay strapped and be prepared for an attack at any moment.

“It was such an inconvenience carrying my gun to places such as work, soccer, and hangouts because you never know who could be waiting to strike.” Senior Keaira Leiagan said.

As the game continued, Paine and Dayton decided to incorporate “supply drops” that could be found around the city with certain equipment.“The drops happen weekly. What we do is we go to Target or Walmart and buy materials like ammo and small guns typically.” Paine said, “We’ll basically place them at random spots around town, we did one at Takken’s and Barney Schwartz.”

Not only did the game develop, but equipment students were using began to develop as well. With each kill it is required that the culprit takes a video of the interaction and sends it to the @prassasins24 Instagram account where they showcase each kill. Some students felt that managing to aim, carry a gun, and a phone

was difficult to balance, and as a result some decided to add a mounted camera to their gun. Additionally, as the game evolved, contestants increased their militia and bought stronger and higher-performing dart guns.

The games didn’t initially start off with as many rules as it has now. Certain events lead to the realization that more rules needed to be put in place to allow the game to flow better. After multiple altercations in Kennedy Club Fitness Center and Planet Fitness, the leaders needed to ban gunplay in the gyms.

@prassassins24

“Some of the gym managers got mad, so they contacted us and we were contacted through other people.” Paine said, “We were trying to be respectful to everyone around Paso, as much as this game is fun, it can be obnoxious at times.”

Additionally, some students such as senior Gracie Weyrich even went to such extreme heights to stay alive that her car was damaged in the process. Weyrich had just finished soccer practice and tried to set someone up to secure her kill. After driving to her future victim’s house he quickly realized it was a setup. Suddenly, Weyrich was sandwiched between two trucks shining their bright lights.

“They came to my window with guns telling me to get out. I tried backing up and the lights were so bright,” Weyrich stated. “I couldn’t see how close the truck behind me was and I rammed into his truck.”

“I can’t please everyone, you know, I try to make calls like, if I can’t see the bullet hit someone in the video, or if someone claims a kill happened during an event, detailing if a kill actually happened or if not. A lot of people get really mad at you and others will be happy with your choice, it’s all part of doing what I do.”

Paine hopes to pass on his skills and knowledge from running the game this year to someone who can continue the game when he is no longer attending PRHS next year.