Bianca the Explorer

Bianca Rangel brings culture and diversity to her leadership

“Vamos! Let’s Go!” Whether she is helping translate for fellow Bearcats, teaching the next generation in Bearkittens, or addressing the vast football game crowd while cheering, senior Bianca Rangel is always trying to better herself and those around her, exploring a variety of activities around campus while maintaining strong academic standing with a 3.7 GPA and at least seven honors/AP classes. Her pathway completion of Early Childhood Education pushed her into the direction of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, or ultrasound, at a vocational school, or trade school, in Los Angeles, CBD College.

Rangel began the pathway her sophomore year, engrossing herself into the experience of shaping the children, doing activities that expose them to the diversity of cultures that surround them. Having been in programs such as ELD herself, Rangel sees herself as an overcomer who tries to advocate for those who are in similar situations to what she has gone through.

“I always thought that if I had spare time, why not actually do something with it, rather than just sit at home. So I focused all of my energy to helping out those who come from similar backgrounds as myself and my family,  my advocacy more so towards our Hispanic community,” Rangel said.

Rangel is a part of over 11 extracurriculars, with over half of them involving some type of leadership role, such as Class President, Superintendent Student Advisory Committee, PBIS, Link Crew, a Director in Bearkittens, and a translator, just to name a few. All of her roles in leadership stem from her background, to increase the adversity and diversity at PRHS, making it a better place for the entire student body. Advisor, coach, and mentor, Jennifer Martinez, has been beside Rangel in making changes for the entire school and has seen her grow in leadership abilities, academic standing, and her athletics.

“The list is shorter to explain how she has not made a difference in the school, but I do know this, there will be a big gaping void when Bianca leaves PRHS.  She has left her mark in so many places here and in so many ways.” Martinez, who has been her advisor and co- Stunt coach, said. “She will be greatly missed by students and staff alike.  From academics to athletics to student class officer, to Career Technical education as well as SkillsUSA, Bianca runs the show in all areas,”

Rangel has also immersed herself in the sports realm of high school athletics, bringing her leadership skills to cheerleading. Entering high school, Rangel decided to try out for the cheer program to do something while the pandemic was still ongoing, leading her to make the freshman team, being awarded most improved for the 2020-2021 season. She continued onward with this path, making varsity stunt as a freshman later that year and varsity cheer as a sophomore, contributing to many league, CIF, and even a state win with her teams. Earning three Lions club awards from her team, for exhibiting leadership, teamwork, and a great work ethic. Junior Kiana Martinez, has known Rangel for three years and has been a teammate with her throughout that time, becoming close friends due to similar family situations that were occurring.

“She is always bringing a smile into practice whether she is having a bad day or not, and as a strong and respected leader. She is strong and wild but doesn’t over power or not take your opinion into consideration.” K. Martinez said.

Rangel has taken all the opportunities that she has seeked out, leading her to grow into someone who inspires others. Overcoming adversity while also trying to teach the next generation on how to stand up for themselves.

Just like Dora the Explorer, Rangel can now look back fondly at high school and say, “Lo hicimos! We did it!”.