Men’s Varsity Basketball Lose to McLane Highlanders

Bearcats lose to McLane Highlanders 51-71.
Zane Wilson
Tre Clark, sophomore on Boys Varsity Basketball, shoots to add points against the McLane Highlanders

Varsity Men’s Basketball loses to McLane 51-71 in their 7th match of the season on December 13, 2023. This now puts the Bearcats in a 2-5 overall record with a 29 percent-win average. 

The Men kicked off the game with the starting lineup Kristopher Melgoza (11), Connor Bowman (12) Wyatt Haley (12), Tre Clark (10), and Chris Williams (12). First points are put up by an outside three pointer shot by number 1 on the highlanders. This is quickly followed with points scored by Hailey making the start of the first quarter 2-3. McLane Highlanders took the lead in the first quarter with a score of 11-16. 

Going into the second quarter of the game Highlanders quickly gained momentum as they quickly put up four points to sustain a higher advantage. Paso Robles gained points back shooting from a couple yards out, as well as awarded a free throw after fouling on the way for a layup. Highlanders closed off the last points scored that quarter with a three pointer. This put the halftime score at 17-31.

Quick on his feet and a force on the court: Senior, Connor Bowman, lays up the ball for a fighting chance to score against the McLane Highlanders.

As the third quarter begins, number one on black puts up the first points, being passed the ball across the court for a layup. Paso regains points right away with another layup. However more points begin to slip by as McLane makes a few counters along with a three-pointer shot from number three on the highlanders. The quarter closed with free throws shot by Wyatt Haley. This now puts the score 32-55. 

Down 23 points at the start of the fourth quarter intensity through the gym builds as Bearcats must fight for the win. Paso Robles starting with the ball, junior Jon Druding put up the first points of the quarter for the Bearcats. Clark soon followed with a counterattack and layup, increasing momentum in the Bearcats play. 

With jukes and dribbles both teams sprint back and forth along the court until the final buzzer rang with a bearcat loss 51-71 to close off the match. 

Adane Siegrist, Junior and second year on Boys Varsity Basketball explains his thoughts on how the game played out.

“Early we scored the ball decently but turned the ball over 15 times in the first half which they capitalized on by scoring 30 points off layups. Second half we were able to chip away at their lead slightly but ended up short by 20” Siegrist said.

Next game for the Bearcats will take place against Montclair at 3:00 pm on December 27. 

Zane Wilson