Community Fun Day: School Board Candidates Host Event To Share Their Goals With Paso Robles Families

With music, tacos, and face painting, several school board candidates hosted a ‘community fun day’ to share their goals with Paso Robles families on Oct 22.

As the event started, community members were greeted with music, tacos, and a face painting booth. Present at the event were school board candidates: Laurene D. McCoy, Peter Byrne, and Frank Triggs. During the first parts of the event, the candidates went around and enjoyed the event alongside the community members. Later in the event, each of the candidates went up to the mic to share about themselves as well as their hopes and goals for the district if elected to the school board.

The first to speak was Family Life Pastor Laurene D. McCoy. McCoy has children of her own in the district, and wants to be sure that parental choice is a key factor when it comes to students’ education. Byrne followed McCoy, and Triggs was the last candidate to speak. Triggs was appointed to the school board in Dec. 2021 and is running for reelection.

“I want to focus on parent participation. I really feel like it’s so important for parents to have a say in what is being taught to their children in the school district. The only way for them to have a say is to participate. That looks like coming out to school board meetings, PTA meetings, community events, and really just letting your voice be heard.”
Laurene D. McCoy

“Everything goes back to transparency. There is no transparency between controversial issues in the school. The administration doesn’t want you to know about it, plain and simple. I think there would be much more parental involvement if they knew what was really going on.”
Peter Byrne
“When I’m on and reelected to the school board, I do not represent the children. I represent the parents, and the parents represent the children. They’re your children, not my children. They don’t belong to the states, the school district, and they don’t belong to the teachers. Those children are the most valuable asset we have.”
Frank Triggs

As the event closed out, people continued to take part in the food and fun, and candidates shared their flyers in preparation for the upcoming Nov. 8 election. 

Peter Byrne and Paso Robles Mayor Candidate Michael Rivera
Community members collecting candidate flyers
McCoy and her husband enjoying some tacos during the event
Board Candidates: Frank Triggs, Laurene D. McCoy, and Peter Byrne
Left to Right: Frank Triggs, Michael Rivera, Peter Byrne, Laurene D. McCoy

Previous
Next

School board elections will take place on Nov. 8. Other candidates running will be hosting events until that time, and there will be a candidate forum at PRHS on Nov. 3.