Human Rights Day 2021: Why Equality matters

What is Human Rights Day?

What is Human Rights Day? The History of the United Nations role in this day and why equality matters.

Human Rights Day is observed every year on December 10; the United Nations General Assembly established it in 1948, along with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), a milestone document that proclaims the inalienable rights everyone is entitled to as a human being, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, language, political party or opinion, national or social origin, property, or place of birth. Every year they produce a campaign with a different theme to promote certain goals for human rights. This year’s Human Rights Day theme is ‘Equality’ along with the slogan “All Human, All Equal” based on Article 1 of the UDHR that says, “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.” Equality is at the heart of human rights. This sediment includes addressing and finding solutions for deep-rooted forms of discrimination that have affected the most vulnerable people in societies, including women and girls, indigenous peoples, people of African descent, LGBTQIA+ people, migrants, and people with disabilities, among others. Every day, each and every one of us can stand up against prejudice and disrespectful attitudes. As the UN website states, “Let’s build a world beyond racism and discrimination, where we all exercise our human rights.”

See what the United Nations is doing in honor of Human Rights Day:

^^ UN Exhibits On Human Rights ^^

Why it matters

Why it matters

Speaking out against inequalities on PRHS campus and fighting for change in recognition of International Human Rights Day and celebrating diversity.

Throughout the past couple of months, our school has developed a reputation of hate and intolerance, despite the increasingly beautiful diversity we showcase. We’ve made national headlines because of hate crimes and district injustices, but these controversies are not who we are as a school. I believe we are more than that, we are more than the hate produced in these halls, and we are more than the people who are afraid of change and try to oppress it. After acts of hate, we need to come together and respond with acts of kindness and fight even harder for inclusivity. While these problems may seems small to students, or just kids being kids, they contribute to the ever growing problem of injustice and continue to accept a culture of racism and prejudice. 

To those who disagree with me, I just want to say that I’m not trying to belittle or ridicule you. I don’t know your situation or how exactly you think. I’m just urging each and every one of you to embrace the beautiful cultures this earth has provided and that fill the halls of this school. We should no longer ignore that 51% of our school is Latino American and we should embrace the diversity at this school.

Students may feel like they can’t make a difference, but we are the future. And though we come from a small town, we have the power to make a difference and advocate for change. In a world where it feels like everyone is shouting at each other hoping to have their opinion heard, it’s the small, united voices of the ignored and oppressed that will be heard. It starts here. A quote that I believe inspires this idea is:

“Where, after all, do universal human rights begin? In small places, close to home — so close and so small that they cannot be seen on any maps of the world. […] Unless these rights have meaning there, they have little meaning anywhere. Without concerted citizen action to uphold them close to home, we shall look in vain for progress in the larger world.”

– Eleanor Roosevelt

The one thing I want you to take away from this plea is that we’re all different, so we should all be valued. We should all be respected. I want to build a school community that fosters a culture of tolerance and inclusivity because those sediments are the only ways to bring about change. And if you don’t want change, you better get ready. Because nothing you can do will stop us. You can hate. You can throw things. You can say slurs. You can fight change, but we will not be shaken. We stand for equality and inclusivity and celebrate this day to remind everyone what we’re fighting for. Despite adversity, we are standing firm in our beliefs and will continue to fight for change.

We’re not going anywhere. 

Speaking out against inequalities and fighting for change in recognition of International Human Rights Day.

Human Rights Day is observed every year on December 10; the United Nations General Assembly established it in 1948, along with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), a milestone document that proclaims the inalienable rights everyone is entitled to as a human being, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, language, political party or opinion, national or social origin, property, or place of birth. Every year they produce a campaign with a different theme to promote certain goals for human rights.

This year’s Human Rights Day theme is ‘Equality’ along with the slogan “All Human, All Equal” based on Article 1 of the UDHR that says, “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.” Equality is at the heart of human rights. This sediment includes addressing and finding solutions for deep-rooted forms of discrimination that have affected the most vulnerable people in societies, including women and girls, indigenous peoples, people of African descent, LGBTQIA+ people, migrants, and people with disabilities, among others. Every day, each and every one of us can stand up against prejudice and disrespectful attitudes. As the UN website states, “Let’s build a world beyond racism and discrimination, where we all exercise our human rights.”

Human Rights Exhibits from UN.org