Bearcats Tackle Tribe in CIF Quarterfinals

The Bearcats defeat the Tulare Union Tribe 24-21 in CIF Quarterfinals, advancing to play at Dinuba

The Bearcats faced off against the Tulare Union Tribe on Thursday in the first football CIF for PRHS since 2015. This helped pump the cats up to a 17-0 score at halftime, going into the second half with promise for winning the game.

“They rose to the occasion when it really mattered most,” Head Coach Matt Carroll said. “It was one play to win or lose the game.”

Jr. Leo Kemp (26) jukes out the Tribe defender while rushing to advance the ball.

After suffering a loss against Redwood High School, 12-11, the boys water polo team had decided to show up and bring their support to help rally the cats to beat the Tribe. In support of their football team, the boys had painted their stomachs with letters, spelling out ‘Bearcats!’ and made sure that they were heard, cheering as loud as they could for every touchdown that was scored by the cats.

The boys water polo team showing their support for the football team after their loss against Redwood.

The third quarter saw both teams put up a touchdown, turning the score to 24-7 with just 12 minutes left of playing time in the fourth quarter to go. The Bearcats set up to receive the kickoff from the Tribe, but were instead scrambled to recover an onside kick, resulting in the recovery by Tulare Union. This helped kick off the Tribes close fourth quarter comeback, as the onside kick resulted in a touchdown, and the Bearcats next possession had resulted in a punt, leading to another touchdown by the Tribe.

“The season could end right here,” Junior Derek Tidwell said. ”We did very good in the beginning, and I didn’t want the season to end after this play.”

Sr. Kyle Bonham (20) tackles the Tribe player to help prevent them from gaining yards

In the end, though, the Bearcats had overcome the Tribe, but it came down to a crucial play. On fourth down, just a few yards from the goal line, the quarterback held the ball, looking for a pass. Seeing an open player, he threw the ball, a touchdown wins the game for them. The ball was almost in the arms of the Tribe receiver, when Trevor Lambeth knocked the throw down, winning the game for the Bearcats, 24-21.

“It was extremely never racking,” Junior Dallon Scott said. ”Trevor played an amazing game, and made big plays when we needed them. I love this group of guys and I’m glad our season isn’t over yet.”

Sr. Bastiaan Jaureguy (42) celebrates with his teammates Randy Dye (73) and Jesus Ochoa (18)