Battling To Be Back

We have hopes for the 2021 softball season 

When flowers begin to bloom in the spring and the sun shines bright, my head has no choice but to get ready for softball season. The rush that fills through my body as I walk up the plate while my teammates cheer me on transports me into another world, a world of sisterhood. Most of the girls playing softball for the high school are the same girls that have been playing together since we were all around eight years old. We’ve grown and continue to grow with each other as the many years go by. 

ALWAYS ALERT: Freshman Ellie Chavez waits for Coach Terri to hit her a ground ball. Players in the background are ready as well watching their teammate. Photo by Rayvin Wulfing

We girls have grown up together but so has our coach, Billy Tidwell. He was my first “All-Star” coach and encouraged me, along with many other girls, to continue playing at a young age. He has been couching softball and football at PRHS for a total of seventeen years and twenty two years in general. We feel like family connected through the love of softball.

BEAR KITTENS BEFORE THEY WERE CATS: The 2013 8U ALL-ATAR softball team. Look closely to see our fellow Bearcats.

As March rolls around the girls wanting to play and coaches wait with our fingers crossed in hopes of a season under the circumstances. We began conditioning in January without knowing if there would be a season. Everyday we hoped to see if there was even the slightest chance of game time.

“It’s great to see everyone in the [softball] program trying to get games going and supporting us through the pandemic. I have not stopped practicing and I am excited to start the season,” Sophomore Pitcher, Brooklyn Pesenti said.

GLIDING INTO THE DIRT: Pesenti in action sliding into second base to be safe playing for “All-American” Mizuno Photo by Laura Pesenti

On Dec 14, 2020 the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) overruled CIF (California Interscholastic Federation)  bylaws 600-605 (outside competition), allowing teams to practice in cohorts. The news has given the girls aspiration to work hard and get back out on the field for a possible season in a safe manner following the procedures. Most schools have put a hold on practice/conditioning due to the lack of commitment. Luckily we have many girls who want to be at practice to improve their skills and because they love being in that environment. 

PEP TALK DURING PRACTICE: Coach BT talks about the new CIF rules and possible game days. He tells us to be hopeful and to continue to practice hard. Photo by Rayvin Wulfing

“I’m excited for this season because we’ve been trapped in our houses and softball gives us an escape to the world around us and makes you forget what is going on,” Junior shortstop player, Christina Ayala said. Nothing is official due to the virus being unpredictable, but there is hope among many players and willingness to fight for their season.

NICE SIDE THOW:Ayala received a ball from Coach Terri and threw the ball with excellent technic. Photo by Rayvin Wulfing