Bastiaan Jaureguy

Junior wants to be ahead of the game amid 2020 obsctacles

Setting his feet behind the line, he squats down and pauses– it seems like forever until his teammate yells “HIKE!”

Bastiaan Jaureguy, along with the entire world, is stuck in the moment before the play begins.

But unlike other people, he’s preparing himself for the next move by putting his head into the game– he’s thinking about what’s next rather than what was.

As a second-year varsity player with (potentially) two seasons left before he graduates, there is still plenty of time for him to improve, and Jaureguy has taken the off-season to get a jump start

Before I didn’t have a lot of self confidence, I wasn’t happy with myself at all. Now that I’m a lot more confident in myself, mentally I feel a lot better

Bastiaan Jaureguy, 11

“I think the quarantine as a whole gave me a lot of time to look at myself and see what I wanted to change. I took the entirety of quarantine to just change how I feel about myself. I’ve gotten in shape and my mental states a lot better,” Jaureguy said.

Best shape ever

Working out everyday has put him in the best shape he’s ever been in, physically and mentally. He’s powered up to a 270 lb bench press from 205 lbs. His back squat is now 360 lbs, up from 300 lbs. He can clean 225 lbs, 30 more than earlier in the year.

The gains feel like he’s made a big jump that will put him ahead, he said. 

Consequently, being fit has boosted his morale, as well.

“Before I didn’t have a lot of self confidence. I wasn’t happy with myself at all. Now that I’m a lot more confident in myself, mentally I feel a lot better,” Jaureguy said.

FOCUSED FROM AFAR: (above and left) Jaureguy conditioning with varsity football teammates from a distance at War Memorial on Oct. 1st

Not stopping

He plans to continue his grind, but he said that “the biggest thing” he anticipates is seeing people next semester.

Jaureguy at practice in October

“I can’t think of anything else I’d rather do,” Jaureguy said.

[button color=”white” size=”normal” alignment=”center” rel=”follow” openin=”samewindow” url=”https://www.crimsonnewsmagazine.org/2020/12/23/survivors-2020/”]Back to Survivors 2020[/button]