Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Lawrence Pimentel

Senior survives positive test of COVID-19

[dropcap size=small]S[/dropcap]truggling to keep grades up, maintaining social lives and hobbies amongst the COVID-19 pandemic, Senior Lawrence Pimentel is just like any other PRHS student. While this may seem like a difficult balancing act by itself, Pimentel has had to overcome a fair share of his own issues during this semester, including overcoming COVID-19.

Pimentel describes the first symptoms of COVID he experienced on Tuesday, Nov 3, including a slowly worsening cough, shivers, loss of taste, loss of appetite, loss of smell, headaches, trouble breathing, and body aches.

Academic Challenges

While Pimentel had to deal with the challenging physical effects of COVID-19, academic effects loomed around the corner.

Despite not feeling his best, Pimentel made sure to keep up his academic responsibilities, “Academically, my grades hadn’t really changed, as I let all my teachers and counselor know of my current condition, and they were very generous in ensuring I wouldn’t fall behind.” Pimentel explains,

“Although I was tired all the time, I made sure to stay on top of my education, sickness be damned.”

Mental Health Struggles

In addition to academic effects and physical health, COVID had significant effects on Pimentel’s mental health. “That first moment you read those test results and they come back positive is horrible. I remember being in shock and then sudden grief as I knew my family had been exposed to it, and I believed it was my fault,” Pimentel stated.

Daily Life

Students all around the globe understand how hard it is to balance school when suffering with something as simple as the common cold. Pimentel, however, overcame a sickness responsible for over 20,000 deaths in California all while keeping himself motivated in school and his personal life.

Pimentel and friend on the War Memorial football field with their color guard flags.

“The toughest part about dealing with the virus was trying to keep up with regular things in life. I was so exhausted from doing even the littlest thing here and there and didn’t feel motivated to do anything I would’ve enjoyed before,” Pimentel said.

However, Pimentel’s survivor story included a happy ending, “Over time, we all got better and I eventually tested negative so all was good,” he commented.

“I’d say everything was okay, at least by 2020 standards.”

[button color=”white” size=”normal” alignment=”center” rel=”follow” openin=”samewindow” url=”https://www.crimsonnewsmagazine.org/2020/12/23/survivors-2020/”]Back to Survivors 2020[/button]