Czarinna Fuentes

Czarinna+Fuentes

PRHS Junior Czarinna Fuentes perseveres in volleyball practice despite season’s halt

As gymnasiums close and games falter, athletes are scrambling for a practice ground. PRHS Junior

Czarinna Fuentes has put together a home volleyball practice facility in order to continue strengthening herself as a player individually. Fuentes, who is a “very science oriented person” plans on attending the University of Hawaii at Hilo for biochemistry or pharmaceutical studies in order to become a pharmacist.

Hoping to continue to play in the future, even if it’s not on a college team, Fuentes has her eyes set on continuing to improve. When deprived of a team when practicing volleyball, Fuentes uses her extra time and resources to improve her passing and setting. Averaging once a week due to weather, choir, and finals, she tries out new drills using trial and error to find the ones that suit her best.

Volleyball is a team sport so all I could and can do now is practice individual skills without much feedback,” Fuentes said.

MAKING DO: Fuentes’ backyard setup consists of a volleyball net propped up over a makeshift court along with a homemade contraption that enables Fuentes to practice hitting with no setter.

The Drill

In her larger-than-average backyard Fuentes has an outdoor volleyball net system secured with cinder blocks. The Fuentes family has also laid out pavers that imitate roughly half of a 29’6″ feet by 59′ feet volleyball court.

When she can find an available family member, Fuentes takes the opportunity to involve them in her practices. Most commonly, her dad, Ronald Fuentes, helps out by standing on a ladder for greater leverage, and hits or serves the ball from one side of the net from different spots on the court. In other cases, he tips the ball over helping Fuentes improve her movement.

Both these methods of practicing passing become beneficial and replicate a game environment as best as possible. However, having a makeshift court means that there is no waxed gym floor to slide on, which puts a limitation on how many balls Fuentes is able to get up.

Fuentes is also making sure she is keeping her endurance and body ready for when practices resume. 

“My at home workout consisted of running on the treadmill for a bit, planking, and a lot of squats and wall sits. Of course, I did the typical pushups but I focused a lot on balancing exercises and strengthening my legs and core,” Fuentes said.

The Motivation

With school and her club volleyball season for Flight Academy both coming up, Fuentes is driven to stay fit and keep her skills in check. Along with maintaining in shape for the soon-to-come seasons, Fuentes remains motivated by the mental and physical health advantages the sport provides her with. 

I’m always in a better mood seeing that volleyball is one of my outlets. It also keeps me in a loop and gives me a topic to talk about with people whenever I branch out and socialize!”

Czarinna Fuentes
OFF SEASON TEAM: Fuentes poses with her new club team from Flight Academy

Photos by Czarinna Fuentes.

[button color=”white” size=”normal” alignment=”center” rel=”follow” openin=”samewindow” url=”https://www.crimsonnewsmagazine.org/2020/12/23/survivors-2020/”]Back to Survivors 2020[/button]