PRHS Chooses the Next U.S. President

Over 380 students at PRHS took part in a mock election and voted on who the next president of the United States should be. The winner was neither current president Donald Trump, nor former Vice President Joe Biden

With the greatly anticipated presidential election taking place on Nov. 3, PRHS students took part in a mock election.  Students were given four questions on topics that are pertinent to the presidents responsibility and were also asked to explain their choice. 

Here were the four questions asked: 

1. Who gave the best response to the national BLM issue?
  2. Who’s future plan regarding the Corona virus and resulting shutdowns is better?
  3. Who do you believe will resolve the problem of climate change?
  4. Who do you support in keeping our economy strong and reinforced? 
“Donald Trump believes in law and order and bringing back peace in the streets of our riot and violence filled streets in America. The first step we need to take is getting these “protests” under control. These riots are burning down black communities and black-owned businesses” said Shea.

Students were quite divided between the candidates.  Over 50% of students did not stick with just one choice. Laila Shea, who is a freshman at PRHS, Picked President Trump for three of out of the four questions. “Donald Trump believes in law and order and bringing back peace in the streets of our riot and violence filled streets in America. The first step we need to take is getting these “protests” under control. These riots are burning down black communities and black-owned businesses.” said Shea.

She chose nobody for the question on climate change though.  She believes that neither President Trump nor Biden have the power to stop it and put an end to the rapidly changing environment.

“The problem of climate change is never truly going to be solved. Our Earth has had both warm ages and ice ages throughout its history. It is a natural thing that humans did not start, nor can we solve.” said Shea.

An overwhelming 196 students sided with Shea, many stating not knowing the candidates or topic well enough to comment. 

I honestly don’t have an opinion on climate change and don’t feel educated enough on the subject to speak about it” said an anonymous student attending PRHS.

“I chose nobody. Because of the recession with the Coronavirus, I don’t think Donald Trump’s economy isn’t as good as people make it out to be. I just don’t know enough about Joe Biden’s economic history to know what his economy would be like” said Thompson.

Answers like these were common among students and seemed to show the lack of interest in current day politics. Junior Alyssa Thompson, also felt like she didn’t know enough about a candidate to decide.

“I chose nobody. Because of the recession with the Coronavirus, I don’t think Donald Trump’s economy isn’t as good as people make it out to be. I just don’t know enough about Joe Biden’s economic history to know what his economy would be like.” said Thompson.  Thompson picked Joe Biden as two of her choices, but couldn’t decide on a candidate for the other two and chose nobody.

Both Shea and Thompson have said they intend to inform themselves on current issues and look to vote as soon as they turn eighteen. Both believe it’s important to research topics on current politics and also support those who best speak for their personal beliefs.  

“Voting is one of the most important things you can do as a citizen of the United States. While it may seem like your vote doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things, it truly does make a difference since there is strength in numbers. If more people voted, we could accomplish more as a nation. It’s a civil duty.” said Thompson

Shea also had a similar response to those who aren’t sure about their beliefs,”I think you really have to look past fake news and do a lot of research on your own before you can make any decision for yourself” said Shea

With so many going undecided on which candidate is the best, it begs the question of whether or not students are being properly informed.  Does this draw concern for the future generation of voters?