Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Comics by the Cats

Four panels, one artist, endless possibilities. This month Crimson commissioned sophomore artists to communicate an important idea through cartooning.

Jane Nyugen, 10

As sophomore Nyugen added the finishing touches on her comic, a sense of exhaustion and accomplishment flooded through her body. The sophomore had been working on the illustration for four  hours and now it was finally done.
She was used to spending large amounts of time on drawing. “I draw every day whether it’s just a doodle or a sketch” Nyugen said, “I draw anywhere once my paper was confiscated because I was drawing in class.”

Comic by Jane Nyugen

Reese Muth, 10

Sophomore Reese Muth put down the stylus she had been gripping for the past 2 hours and shook out her cramping hand. She took a deep breath and smiled when she looked at her finished comic. “Art us special to me because it is so unlimited, she said, “you can create anything you could imagine… The possibilities are endless!”

Muth also found herself feeling triumphant as she complete her comic. “The point of this comic to be relatable since most people (including me) tend to procrastinate on things,” she said, explaining the meaning behind the purple piece, “I just wanted to make a joke about that and make people smile.”

Comic by Reese Muth

Art has been a hobby that Muth and Nyugen have stuck with for most of their lives, “I’ve been drawing for a long time. I think from first grade,” Jane Nyugen said.

For the the past 3 years the girls have progressively thought about art more seriously, yet both sophomores have never enrolled in an art class at the high school.