Bearcats get swooped by the Eagles

Women’s varsity water polo loses 7-10 against Arroyo Grande 

It was a cool, sunny day at the municipal pool on Tuesday, October 29 when the women’s water polo team began their senior night game against the Arroyo Grande Eagles at four o’clock. The first quarter didn’t bode well for Paso Robles as the bearcats had only scored one goal while the eagles scored five. Seniors Tatiana Smeltzer and Halle Nash started momentum for Paso Robles in the second quarter with Smeltzer’s two goals and Nash scoring the third, ending the quarter with a score of 4-6 . 

Smeltzer and Nash each scored another goal in the third quarter along with sophomore Holly Disimone, which resulted in the bearcats outscoring the eagles in the third quarter as well as the second. The score by the end of the third quarter totaled 7-8, with Arroyo Grande still in the lead.  

Seniors Gabriella Clayton and Morgan Harrington played exceptional games, forming decisive plays and collectively earning three exclusions, creating 6 vs 5 situations that all resulted in goals. 

The last quarter didn’t result in any goals for the bearcats, while the eagles scored twice. The final score was 10-7 and Arroyo Grande took the victory. 

Senior night followed the game as Clayton, Nash, Harrington and Smeltzer received nostalgic speeches from teammates on their progress and bonding throughout four years of play. The seniors posed for pictures, talked on the radio and celebrated their time playing waterpolo at Paso High.