We are choosing to be positive

This year we are choosing to have a positive mindset

School is back in session and it’s time for another year — and just with that statement we are given a choice: we can either snicker with disgust or get butterflies of happiness. All throughout life, situations like these are presented and we can either have a positive or negative reaction to them. We can say, “Wow, this is going to be a great year” or “I am ready to start another terrible year of school”. The choice we make can affect our happiness and overall outlook on life. It all goes back to the classic, “Do you see the glass half full or half empty?” This mindset of seeing the glass half full is important — because when everything in your life seems to be all bad, a little hope goes a long way. 

In a survey done by the Pew Research Center in Dec. 2018, 56% of people surveyed were optimistic for the future of the U.S. There are slightly more optimistic Americans than not, yet why does it feel like everything you hear about is bad news? 

We complain about PRHS implementing new policies or too much homework at the beginning of the year, which only creates an environment where we focus on the negative. In class, when it gets too boring or hard, students get annoyed and give up instead of making class more fun or finding help. When something gets too challenging, oftentimes we give up. When change is presented to us, we complain and fight instead of giving it a chance. 

For a society that is supposed to be happy and positive, it seems like we are the complete opposite. However, if there is that one student who takes the other route — decides to get help, keeps pushing on, and adapts to change — then someone might stop, pay attention, and start a chain reaction.

In a student-written editorial for the New York Times “The power of positivity”, William Wilton talks about what a positive attitude can do. 

“[Classmates] thought negatively about the assignments, and the class as a whole, as well as those around them in the class. I realized that it was because of these bad attitudes that things were taking longer to complete and that it was harder to get through school days. So I set a goal for myself: to keep a positive attitude when those around me where negative,” Wilton explained.

His results were what he hoped: people began to change. It only took one positive attitude and his peers started acting differently.

“I noticed that in my classes the negative attitudes were kept outside the room for the most part,” Wilton wrote. “Not only have I noticed that their attitudes have improved in general, I have also noticed that more projects are being finished on time, people are more punctual to class, and they are more involved in extracurriculars because they are more positive about what they are doing.” 

This is just one student who changed his perspective. Imagine if a whole classroom did it? Or a whole grade? Or the whole school? This attitude seems to have a rippling effect. How big could its impact be?

Now, the world isn’t perfect and neither are we. There are some things that you can’t be positive about. Sometimes we have bad days, but if we keep moving forward it will make all the difference in the world to you and those around you. Choosing to be positive doesn’t just make your life better — it makes the people around you lives better too. 

Winston Churchill said “attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference,” so let’s make our attitude positive. We all could be the one student who is silently positive and makes a change.