Bright new colors

Bright new colors

The importance of taking what we’ve learned to the next chapter of our lives

We are all, at some points in our lives, given a blank canvas. As we share our wisdom of the world, struggle through hard times, and help one another, we begin to fill it up. Every corner, every inch, we cover with paint. Soon, there’s a gallery of art. Images from every chapter of our lives, colors we can’t even begin to describe, beauty beyond belief. We cling to these murals and portraits depicting the wonders and sorrows of our lives. We find ourselves painting, over and over, the same spots. All the while, a new canvas sits in the corner, waiting for its potential to be fulfilled. But why would anyone want to leave the beauty that they already have?

As we grow, as we change, and as we become the people that we are meant to be, we start to fear what’s ahead of us. The world can seem daunting with it’s many colors, and we soon grow nostalgic for the elementary reds, blues, and yellows.

As the end of the year approaches and curiosity is risen about where we all will go next, different attitudes towards the future are risen as well. Some seem too eager to leave, while others can’t bring themself to head for the door. Some simply take everything in stride, saying “it is what it is”, while others meticulously plan out every move they will make. But all that anyone seems to get from it all is exhaustion.

“From my point of view, which is that of a storyteller, I see life as already artful, waiting, just waiting, and ready for you to make art.”

The important thing to keep in mind, though, as these things come to pass is that change will come whether we are ready for it or not. Even if we have grown attached to what we have, we must be prepared – and excited – for the new opportunities that arise.

But it is just as important to remember what we have and what we had. There are things to be learned from every moment in each of our lives, and we should accept these challenges for self and societal improvement with open arms. Even when things start to change, even if we are ready to go, we have to appreciate the things that we have grown from in our lives, and take with us the skills and colors we have gained from these experiences.

“From my point of view, which is that of a storyteller, I see life as already artful, waiting, just waiting, and ready for you to make art,” novelist and Princeton professor Toni Morrison said.

It’s time for us to make our way in the world with a blank canvas in front of us. Our brushes may be used and our palettes running out of colors, but it is these small flaws that will come to make a beautiful portrait full of new and intricate details and colors we never thought possible.