Mexican Food in an American Town

Diving into whether or not Mexican food is authentic in Paso Robles

As California was part of Mexico before the Mexican-American wars, California should have authentic Mexican food, but is Paso Robles’ food really authentic?

Sophomore Alejandra Ruiz commented on the authenticity of Mexican food in Paso Robles: “A lot of Mexican restaurants and food in Paso is not traditional Mexican food.” Ruiz said, “It has been changed into Tex-Mex food that is more common like Taco Bell and Chipotle ect.” It is no secret that places such as Taco Bell or Chipotle aren’t making food that would be eaten traditionally in Mexico, but this can also be said about places like McDonald’s or Wendy’s, both being places that are not making traditional foods of America.

There are many local Mexican restaurants that advertise the authenticity of their food as their main pitch to pull customers in. Many tourists go out to eat at restaurants downtown, that being one of the main sources of income at many restaurants but locals object to the tourists’ opinions, freshman Amy Banderas said, “I don’t think the food is authentic because it’s all mostly fast food.” There are still local regulars that often eat out and enjoy the supposedly authentic foods of Paso Robles but whether or not they believe in the authenticity is up to debate.

Making food at home can be a favorite for some families, but could be the worst part of the day for others. Food is a diverse part of society and is different for every person or family. “I prefer to make my own food at home, although I do enjoy eating out every once in a while” Ruiz commented.

According to students at PRHS the Mexican food in Paso Robles is overwhelmingly not authentic, also referred to as “Tex-Mex” but it is also mainly thought of as the fast foods and chains that are offered in town and not the independently owned restaurants.