Keep kicking on

Senior Atiana Stratman commits to Northwestern Missouri State for soccer

Senior Atiana Stratman dominates the soccer field with her aggressive spirit and her confident demeanor as she controls the forward position with her speed and skill. Since she was four years old, Stratman has continued to grind on and off the field. In addition to being involved in AP classes, she has worked hard to become better at her beloved sport, while excelling in school.

North Western Missouri State University offered Stratman a $5,000 scholarship annually. She also received offers from California Lutheran University and UC Merced; Stratman decided to go with NWMS because it was “something new, different, and financially worked out better,” Stratman mentioned.

Playing soccer almost all her life, Stratman is bound to make many new friends and memories through this sport. “I met my two best friends Alexis and Jordan [through soccer], and many other close friends that I value so much,” Stratman said.

Alexis Serna, a grade higher than Stratman, attends NWMSU as well. The two will be attending the same college and playing soccer together, as they did in high school in the 2017-2018 school year. Serna, having received a scholarship for her keeper skills, will be defending goals as Stratman scores them.

With Alexis going to the same school as me, it makes me feel better going into a whole new environment with someone that I’m already close with to help me adjust! Also, she’s one of my best friends, so I’m excited to be reunited with her,” Stratman said.

“My favorite aspect of Atiana is her personality. You’ll never see her without a big smile on her face. She never failed to put a smile on my face whenever I was down nor was there ever a dull moment with her. She’s the type of person everyone needs in their lives,” Serna said.

Junior Jordan Bullard is also one of her closest friends, and is sad, but excited for Stratman as she begins her new journey to NWMSU.

Ati is fearless. It doesn’t matter the situation or the opponent; she plays her best game every time she’s on the pitch,” Bullard stated. “I love everything about this kid, but if I had to choose one thing, it would be the kindness and joy she shares everywhere she goes. It is so rare to see her upset or stuck in a bad mood.”

Many people have influenced Stratman over the years and a few of them are “my teammates, friends, boyfriend, and family,” Stratman mentioned. With her two best friends, Stratman has created many fond memories through her soccer years. “To be honest, there’s really not a favorite memory. It was all the little things combined, like the friendships, the inside jokes, and just the moments that we all found so funny, fun and enjoyable, making memories that will be unforgettable,” Stratman said.

Going off to college can seem like a heart-wrenching event, and for Stratman’s two best friends, they send her off with with touching words. “I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to play alongside you for the past two years and learn from watching you play as well as how you go through life. I am so proud you have reached this point in your soccer career. They have no clue how lucky they are to add you to their roster,” Bullard confessed. As Stratman continues on this journey to NWMSU, her team wishes her the best of luck, including her former and future teammate, Serna. “I’d tell her to enjoy the time she has left in Paso, considering it is her hometown, where she’s made so many friends throughout her life, It’d be a long time until they see you again. But once you start your college life playing soccer, you’ll enjoy every second of it,” Serna mentioned.

Stratman’s stats are upping the charts each and every game she plays. As of Jan. 30, 2019, she has shot 129 times and 20 of those have gone in. With 78 games played, Stratman is exceeding the national average with her own stats and is ranked 222 in California and 539 nationally.