Varsity Basketball Girls defeated by Righetti

Bearcats lose against the warriors 

Going against one of the top teams in the league, Righetti High School, the varsity basketball girls were ready for a tough rivalvery. On Jan. 29, 2019, the first quarter started with Righetti making a shot, leading the game with 0-4.  Second quarter reached the clock with Jayden Loewen taking a steal, ending with 16-18 on the scoreboard.

“Going into the 3rd quarter, we kinda lost the momentum and couldn’t score around the basket, which caused us to lose.” Loewen, senior, explained.

Janiel Stanko came with another steal with 21-20 beaming on the board in the 3rd quarter. The quarter ended with Righetti in the lead, 26-32. Xena Stanko made a fast break, bringing the score to 31-46. The games ended with Paso Robles defeated, 37-64.

“Our girls really stuck in there and played hard all through the game, all four quarters, and I think they did a really good job for playing one of the top teams in the league,” Morgan Harrington, junior who runs the shot clock, commented. This left the varsity girls with 32-40 rebounds, 5-8 assists, 11-10 steals, 1-2 blocks, and their next game on Feb. 5 with the San Luis Obispo Tigers at 3-6 in the league.

Photos by Estela Cano