The Field: From kindergarten to senior year of highschool

Senior Jasmine Smiley says “goodbye” to the softball field and “hello” to a college campus

The 12 year softball fanatic senior Jasmine Smiley prepares to say a graceful goodbye. As she looks forward to college, she reflects back on the most competitive and enjoyable years of her life. Varsity catcher of four years with impressive individual statistics of a batting average .449, 18 RBI’s,(runs batted in) and an on base percentage of .482 is ready to turn in her jersey and strive towards her future.

“One of my favorite things about softball is being with my team and being able to step on that field and know that I belong there,” Smiley said.

At the age of five, Smiley was swinging over the home plate of the youth fields. Overtime, as skill and interest progressed, Smiley, began to play club softball for 6 years leading up to high school. Throughout the many years of softball, Smiley has made many relationships that she will never forget with friends, family and adults including, a current school counselor, Heather Gillis.

“Mrs. Gillis is a huge factor on why I continue to play, she is the person I can talk to on and off the field,” Smiley said while appreciating the wonderful influence she has made in her life.

The relationship between the two has grown over the past three years and Gillis has great respect for Smiley as well.

“I have had the pleasure of knowing Jasmine Smiley for about 3 years, first as her coach and then as her counselor.  Jasmine is truly a joy to be around and is respected by her peers and adults. She has faced adversity multiple times and has always been able to overcome with her head held high and a smile on her face. She makes the conscious effort to take what life throws at her and learn from it. Jasmine is a natural leader…she values her relationships with people and is always there for those in need.  I see a bright future for Jasmine because when she sets her mind to it, she can accomplish anything,” Gillis said as she admired Smiley.

As Jasmine’s softball career comes to an end but her legacy continues she prepares to attend Sonoma State University to study psychology. She hopes to become a counselor to help troubled teens.

Back to Bearcathletes 2018