Kicking to the end zone

Cade England fulfills his high school sports career as a top athlete

Under the bright lights of the football stadium, the quarterback holds the ball as Senior Cade England runs to kick it. The football flys through the yellow field goal posts and the crowd goes wild. England has just broke the school record for a field goal at 54 yards.

His lettermans jacket is full of medallions, patches, and awards recording his sports history at PRHS. Since freshman year England has completed ten sports seasons playing football, wrestling, and track. England has made an impact in each sport with numbers of achievements including holding two school records: field goal and triple jump.

“Sports are important to me because my dad went to this school and did a lot of sports and broke a lot of records, as well. I’ve always strived to be better than my dad and to beat my dad because I have heard all the stories and I completed that this year which was really big for me. I was really emotional about it. Also to develop friendships with all my buddies,” England said.

When he started football at eight years old, he didn’t favor being a kicker, but it soon grew to be his favorite because he got to spend more time with his teammates on the sidelines. England began football at PRHS his freshman year at and was brought up to varsity for CIF his sophomore year. As a Pac-5 All League holder for his junior and senior year, he averages 43.2 yards in kickoffs and 37.4 yards for punting. England kicked a total of 1046 yards his senior year and holds the All County Kicker title.

England also did wrestling for three years starting on the varsity team as a freshman. He went to CIF his junior year and was crowned League Champion junior year. He decided to focus on

As a three sport athlete, time after school is short and for England it is even shorter juggling the Spring musical in the midsts of Track season. England practices everyday after school and when conflicted by the musical schedule, he practices jumping around 9 o’clock by himself after rehearsal. England does the triple jump, high jump, and long jump with triple jump being his favorite.

“Cade, I met him this year, he’s definitely one of my favorite seniors. I have nothing bad to say about him. He is very spontaneous and talkative and always knows how to make the moment brighter. He’s a great athlete. We both do the same event and he has always been one step ahead of me, which is fine, but it pushes me to just go even further. [A good memory is] making jokes on the side at the meets, we’d just be chilling,” said Junior Connor Lacy, England’s teammate and new friend from track season.

His late nights and hard work for track ahs payed off for track. He broke the triple jump PRHS record at 46 feet 5 and one-half inches in the Pac-8 league meet in Atascadero. England went on to the first round of CIF and got second in triple jump jumping 44 feet 11 and a half inches and will now move on to CIF finals in Long Beach. England has held and All League title for track all 3 years and gone to CIF three years as well as CIF Finals his Junior and Senior year.

“Oh I love triple jump. It’s just like you feel like you are flying: like floating. It’s fun It is very physically demanding on your body and I do a lot of physical sports which [is] why I like it. [Also,]I like triple jump because all my teammates, they just make it so much fun,” said England laughing at memories of his team.

Attending Allan Hancock Community College in the fall England will continue kicking in football and jumping in track. He will also be taking classes to become a firefighter and plans to transfer to a four year university in two years.

“My priority is just experience everything that you can because high school flies fast,” England said.

Back to Bearcathletes 2018