Taking on new worlds

Lily Seebart branches out in Leadership, Skills USA, and extracurricular activities to lead her peers and inspire change

Long, long ago at PRHS, a shy freshman stumbled into her first year of highschool, unsure of what to do. Encouraged by her teachers, she decided to jump into various programs, some short-lived, and others that proved to be just right. Four years of leadership and Skills USA, two years of athletic training, one year of community healthcare, and a strong support system of peers and mentors have shaped the confident and capable aura of senior Lily Seebart. Within four years, Seebart has  transformed into a leader among students.

As a result of her involvement, Seebart has become hardworking and dependable; ASB coordinator and track coach Anthony Overton said,”She’s very determined and works very hard for everything she has. Nothing’s been handed to her and things don’t necessarily come easy to her. I really respect that about her.”

Because of this work, she has prospects in her future that were once impossible.

“I’ve been able to get into so many different programs that have opened up so many doors for me It’s put me on the right path, I think, for the next years and the next chapter in my life. I can’t imagine going through high school and not being in leadership or not being in skills,” she said.

Though she is now known for this work, she was once defined by sports rather than leadership. Track and soccer consumed hours after school, until double knee injuries made it impossible to continue. With these extracurriculars taken off the plate, Seebart searched for a new place to dedicate her time and found herself in a realm of freshman orientation projects, charity drives, coaching elementary sports, and competing annually at Skills USA.

“It’s just fun to be involved in all those different groups and kind of know what’s going on in the school and get to be as involved as you can,” she said.

Seebart qualified for state in the 2018 Skills USA competion, winning second and third place in her competitions. She has participated in Skills for four years.

Her legacy will remain at PRHS in the form of Bearcat 101 and Jeans for Teens, two annual projects which she spearheaded in her early years of high school. Through Jeans for Teens, she has assisted the collection of about 1000 pairs of jeans by SLO county.

As for Bearcat 101, the program in which incoming freshman are introduced to the classes they can choose from, Seebart began to build the framework for this in her freshman year, and the first official run was completed in her sophomore year. Before her contributions, the program showcased less classes than it does now and did not supply freshman with a complete concept of the school.

“I felt we were doing a disservice to our incoming freshman by only showing them a small portion of what PRHS has to offer,” she said.

This drive to make a difference is not a rare quality in Seebart; as an avid leadership student, former athletic trainer current healthcare practicum student, Skills USA contestant and Commissioner of Elections, she offers a constant participation to her school that reflects her passion and interest in the events around her.

“I have learned from her questions and inquisitive nature and am incredibly excited to see where her passions and goals take her in the future. When she sets her mind to accomplishing a task, no matter the size, she seeks to find any and every way to achieve it. I am so incredibly proud of her!” said former PRHS athletic trainer, Kelly Franks, who now serves as an adjunct professor at Azusa Pacific University and part-time athletic trainer and rehabilitation specialist at Cal State Fullerton.

Seebart is currently in healthcare practicum, volunteering at Twin Cities on Saturday nights and rides along on the ambulance on Sundays. These experiences have further influenced her to pursue a career in medicine.

Because of an upcoming double knee surgery, Seebart has altered a few of her plans, but will remain on track to end up where she wants to be. Beginning in the fall of 2019, Seebart will take online courses for Cuesta, attend classes by the second semester, and eventually transfer to Fresno state in the fall of 2020. Ultimately, she would like to become a trauma nurse at Twin Cities or Sierra Vista Hospital.