Choir mentors elementary students

PRHS Advanced Choir helps prepare elementary choir students for performance at Cal Poly

Fourth and fifth graders from all the elementary students in Paso Robles embarked on a field trip to PRHS for the annual Elementary Choir Festival on March 8, 2018.  The Advanced Choir led the choir children through a set of ‘get to know you’ games and fed the students snacks before they entered the Gil Asa Gym for the assembly.

Advanced Choir students Angellica Steinbrook (left) and Caroline Alaniz (right) share their fun with working with the kids.

“Seeing the expression on the kids faces when we were helping them and seeing how grateful they were was amazing,” said Sophomore Caroline Alaniz, first year Advanced Choir student and two year choir veteran.

During the assembly, elementary students sang scales with Beth Klemm, the guest clinician from the Atascadero Fine Arts Academy.  The children performed folk songs Give me Wings, arr. Mark Patterson,  Charlotte Town, an american folk tune arr. Emily Crocker, and Zum Gali Gali, an Israeli folk song arr. Dan Schwartz; the Advanced Choir performed Grace by Mark Hayes and Wade in the Water by Rob Dietz.

“After we performed, the kids came running up to us and said ‘Wow!  That was really cool!  I can’t wait to get into highschool and join the choir.’  It was really cool,” said Senior Angellica Steinbrook.

Steinbrook, Alaniz, and Callarman had a great time working with the kids and are glad to have joined choir and to help the children prepare for the Festival at Cal Poly on March 22, 2018.

“Choir and I really click, it was just perfect,” said Sophomore Chloe Callarman.  High school choir is a great class to join for those who wish to ‘come out of their shell’ like Callarman, a choir student since the seventh grade,  “And working with the kids was really great.”

“Don’t ever be afraid to show what you can do because it could inspire others to do the best that they can do,” Steinbrook said.

[envira-gallery id=”29890″]