Anti-Muslim=Anti-American

Anti-Muslim%3DAnti-American

Discrimination due to faith goes against our nation’s values

Mason mugWith Donald Trump calling for a ban to all Muslims coming into our country, some people have begun to wonder, should all Muslims be prevented from entering America? Terrorist attacks from radical Muslims have done grievous damage and resulted in the loss of many lives. But should we, knowing the danger of terrorism, deny any Muslim the right to enter this country? The idea of denying people the right to come to America based on religion is unamerican and inhumane.

America is unique in that it is a nation of immigrants. It has historically been a refuge from economic hardship, violence, and racial and religious persecution. The pilgrims, the founders of our country, were fleeing the state-supported Anglican church to practice their own religion. The First Amendment of the Constitution states that “congress shall make no law … prohibiting the free exercise [of religion].” Creating a religious test to enter or remain in the country goes against our constitution and our founding values as a nation.

ISIS has come to the conclusion that all people other than themselves can be killed, the ultimate us-versus-them mentality. But by fearing all 1.6 billion Muslims in the world on account of ISIS, which is only a miniscule portion of Muslims, we are, to a lesser extent, falling prey to the same evil folly. We are dehumanizing each individual and treating them all as one.

ISIS is a minority of extremists in one of the largest religions in the world. In our country, where people are 77% Christian, according to gallup.com, it’s easy to see that people of the same religion are not necessarily similar in opinion– there are 35 Christian churches in Paso Robles alone, and we do not agree on many things. Historically, there have been extremist Christian groups, such as the KKK, but their actions do not reflect on the faith as a whole.

The ultimate goal of terrorism is to instill fear that results in a distrust in others. When our mindset and perception of others is defined by terrorism, that is the ultimate victory for extremist terrorism. When we begin to distrust all Muslims based on their faith alone, when our perception of Islam is defined by terrorism, the terrorists have achieved their ultimate victory.

It is not only our duty as Americans, but as members of the human race to continue to allow Muslims into this country. When Ronald Reagan left office he described the “shining city on a hill” that America could be, “…if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here.” America should be open to people like the Syrian refugees who want asylum from the same terrorism which we fight against. People should be judged individually whether or not they can come into our country, and not based on their religion. A religious test goes completely against American ideals. Let’s not let fear blind our better judgement. When ISIS tries to extinguish the flame of our humanity, we must let it burn even brighter.