McKanna Show

Hayden McKanna makes his high school years count, excelling in football, Child Development—making great relationships along the way
    McKanna+Show
    Hayden McKanna as a junior throwing to fellow Bearcats after stepping in as Quarterback during second quarter.

Its hard to talk about senior Hayden McKanna without bystanders in earshot commenting on how great of a guy he is.

McKanna is a standout senior for the class of 2024. He has played four years of varsity football, completed the Bear Kittens CTE pathway along with interning at Kermit King, and, most notably has been a leader and trusted friend to those around him, known by many as one of the nicest kids around.

Football has been a key part of McKanna’s time in high school. Being brought up to varsity as a freshman set the tone of excellency and dependability that followed him throughout his time at PRHS.

“I saw what potential I had when I first got brought up (to play on varsity) so it was nice being able to build off of there and grow as a football player, but also as a person growing into leadership roles and learning how to be someone that people can rely on in and outside of football,” McKanna said. McKanna attributed football to teaching him responsibility and helping him  make strong bonds with other students and coaches. He says his football coach, Matt Carroll, was a mentor of his, “He’s a great guy and helped me become the leader I am today,” McKanna said.

I ALWAYS WISH THAT I HAD EXTRA HELP WHEN I WAS IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL … TEACHERS WILL HELP THE KIDS BE AT THE LEVEL THEY NEED TO BE, BUT IT’S IMPORTANT TO HAVE SOMEONE TO HELP THEM BEYOND THAT.

— Hayden Mckanna

Carroll had similarly positive things to say about McKanna. “Hayden McKanna is one of the  most coachable, intelligent, and hardworking plays I’ve ever been associated with. He was all about putting the team first.”

“He was a really talented freshman who went out there and performed really well for us,” Carroll continued. “By the time he was a senior, it was like having another  coach on the field. Just a great leader of our program.”

From football he gets his leadership traits, but his drive for success has a deeper story. McKanna explained in 8th grade his cousin passed away. This early experience with loss pushed McKanna to not waste his time in high school, and life in general. “I just turned 18. He never got the  chance to turn 18 you know so I have to make it count. I feel he deserves to see it through me,” McKanna said.McKanna’s excellence in the Bear Kittens CTE pathways is something he worked hard for and added many responsibilities to his plate, but he enjoyed the process all the way through. He is a Bearkittens director and was noted as one of standout students. This experience in school inspired McKanna to pursue it during his own time by interning at Kermit King on Thursdays to help with kindergarten classes. His motivation to do this without any monetary compensation stems from his childhood.

“I always wish that I had extra help when I was in elementary school … teachers will help the kids be at the level they need to be, but it’s important to have someone to help them beyond that,” McKanna said.

Tre Clark, 10

He brings this motivation to help others in high school as well. Sophomore, Tre Clark, explains McKanna is a super understanding person who took him under his wing this last football season. Whenever Clark would get upset that he wasn’t getting thrown the ball as a wide receiver McKanna would give him some words of encouragement: “Telling me that me being there really made a difference and it made me realize that it’s not really about me. He helped me mature,” Clark said.

Clark spotlightted a variety of good memories he had with McKanna and urged readers: “If you don’t know Hayden, you should get to know him well.”