Seniors Get Soaked

Students donate canned foods to get a water balloon to throw at seniors and Principal Fletcher
Chloe Van Pelt

In front of room 503, students laughed and aimed water balloons towards the line of human targets who anticipated the watery projectiles about to nail them.

During both lunch A and B on Nov. 14, Bearcats who donated canned foods were given the opportunity to throw water balloons at seniors and principal Megan Fletcher. To collect cans for donations to Paso Cares, ECHO Shelter, and the Paso Fire Department, “Soak A Senior” was held during the school’s food drive.

One donated can earned one water balloon, and up to five balloons were allowed per student. If students brought either tuna and peanut butter, they received an extra balloon. After donating, the students were then able to aim and throw at the 10 seniors and Principal Fletcher as their reward.

“I actually got signed up to do this, but I ended up having a lot of fun,” said Jack Tobin, one of the participating seniors for the event.

The entire food drive collected around 4,000 cans and the fundraiser further raised $95 and another 50 cans. Last year, however, students donated around 1,800 cans to Paso High’s food drive. This led the Culture and Climate Committee Directors to brainstorm more ways to get students involved with the drive, which is how this water balloon fundraiser was created.

This interactive fundraiser helped encourage students to donate for the school’s food drive that will ultimately help out our community.

The people who participated (pictured up top) included seniors Zoey Bixler, Ella Tobin, Shelbi Griffith, Brielle Burt, Brooklynn Healy, Sebastian Radojevic, Kayla Degnan, Ashley BenAmi, Maxwell Berry, Bennett Reed, and Jack Tobin and Principal Fletcher.