Leis for Lahaina

Leis for Lahaina

Strong student support encircles Maui in its worst disaster

In one of Hawaii’s greatest disasters, a fire on Maui in the morning of Aug. 8, 2023 from an electrical power line caused 2,170 acres of destruction. Tragically 97 died in the suffocating smoke and heat, and hundreds suffered second degree burns, and some ran to the water to survive. Many people lost loved ones, homes, and their precious homeland as 90% of Lahaina vanished. 

In the aftermath of the tragedy many communities joined together to donate significant money to Maui. By September 29, 2023, over $200 million had been donated to the Maui Strong Fund. 

Bearcats took action, as well: hundreds donated $1or more, received a red, blue and white lei at school and at the Homecoming football games for their decision, in a program directed by leadership and teachers Jennifer Bedrosian and Jennfier Martinez.

This campaign, first proposed by Counselor Cesar Barajas, raised over $1200 by for the Lahaina School. The majority of the money donated was at the Homecoming football game.

The school is proud of helping people in need, according to Bedrosian, who was delighted with students’ support.

“This is a chance to say, ‘Oh, I did something good. I’m supporting students who weren’t able to go to their first day of school this year or get to be with their teammates or have their favorite teachers,’” she said.