Bearcats lose seven year win streak against Atascadero

Bearcat varsity football loses to Atown 14-28, losing the win streak started back in 2016

The Bearcat varsity football team played against rivals Atascadero this past Friday, Sept. 01, losing 14-28, officially ending the previous seven year win streak. Currently seating PRHS at a 0-2 record for non-league games.

The rivalry started 104 years ago, and has seen both teams prevail against the other. In recent years, the Bearcats had kept one of the longer win streaks.  Senior captains James Cogan (#12), Hayden McKenna(#4), Ayman Benbrahim (#62), and Ashton Murphy (#5) lost the coin toss to the hounds, foreshadowing how the night would end.

Close call(war memorial): Junior Cj Mercado takes down Hound Mason Degnan at the 1 yard mark.

Paso, who is currently in division two, fought valiantly versus the current division six state champions, with the score at 7-13 during the end of the first half. The Bearcats were able to block the PAT on on one Greyhound touchdowns, leaving the score close going into the second half of the game.

During halftime the band demonstrated one of the numbers they have been working on, “Locked out of Heaven” by Bruno Mars, with color guard performing alongside them. Cheerleaders from both sides performed a combined halftime together showing the unity between the teams, a tradition as old as the rivalry. Halftime ended with the PRHS advanced dance team doing two dances choreographed by Geo Rendon, junior, and Natalie Boyd, senior.

Pullquote Photo

We can’t all be perfect, as much as it sucks it’s a good teaching point where we can tweak and fix what we did wrong and learn.

— said offensive guard and offensive tackle Kameron Paine

In the third quarter the Bearcats had another successful touchdown bringing the score to 14-13, in favor of the Bearcats. The Hounds didn’t give up there, though, scoring in the fourth quarter twice by going for the two point conversion for their first touchdown of the second half and then the PAT point for the next touchdown.

Paso will play at War Memorial stadium Sept. 8 against the Monache Marauders, who currently sit at 0-3 record. This will be a non-league game.

photos by: Rogelio Molina, Chloe VanPelt, Serenity Wulfing

Featured Image by: Rogelio Molina

Takedown (war memorial): A Bearcat tries to take down a hound who is running the ball (Chloe VanPelt)
Dogpile (war memorial): Bowman is crushed by three greyhounds when trying to make some yards. (Chloe VanPelt)
Ready for it (war memorial): Senior Tristan Salgado prepares to do his part in the current play. (Chloe VanPelt)
Blocked (war memorial): Sophomore Trey Clark fights for the ball against a hound who is trying to intercept it. (Chloe VanPelt)
Pigskin (war memorial) Mckenna being taken down by a greyhound defender (Chloe VanPelt)

Look Out (war memorial): Senior Isaiah Williams waits for the play to try and defend the Bearcats line as best as he can.